Author Topic: New member question about 52v battery on a Magic Pie edge  (Read 4145 times)

Offline AndyZ

• Confirmed
New member question about 52v battery on a Magic Pie edge
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
Hi everyone, nice to meet you and thanks for having me. I recently bought a 52v mid-drive folding bike with a removable battery. I would like to buy a Golden Motor kit to do a 16" wheel electric conversion on a kick-scooter and I would like to use the 52v battery from my folding bike. I did read the GM instructions which stated not use anything above 48v, but I noticed that the instructions warned against going to 60v, so I am posting this question in the hopes that 52v would be OK. Can you please let me know if I can use a 52v battery on this kit:

https://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Magic-Pie-Edge-%28VECTOR%29-16-Inch-Rear-Conversion-Kit-%286%252d7-Freewheel%29.html

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member question about 52v battery on a Magic Pie edge
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:56:38 PM »
Hi Andy andto the forum.

A 52V battery will work fine with the Magic Pie Edge as long as it is able to deliver 18 Amps.

Check the dropout width on the rear of the scooter as it is more likely to be 100mm as used on the front forks of most bikes instead of the 135mm width that a typical bicycle rear wheel uses.

The 16" Front Magic Pie Edge might be a better option.  ;)

Alan

Offline AndyZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 05:07:04 AM »
"The 16" Front Magic Pie Edge might be a better option."

...Then I would have to drive backwards to pop a wheelie (hehe).

Thanks for the reply :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
...Then I would have to drive backwards to pop a wheelie (hehe).

Not if you fit the front motor onto the rear of the scooter.  ;)

Although, if you were to fit a pair of motors, you could wheelie in either direction. ::)

Alan

Offline AndyZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »
I just found out e-scooters are illigal to ride in my area and have an almost $600 fine attached... Scooter project cancelled until further notice (maybe they will update the e-scooter law soon).

No motors = no wheelies. :(