Author Topic: Pedelec  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Tbnrider

• Confirmed
Pedelec
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:45:58 AM »
Current regulations in my city require that E-assisted bikes on the paths and trails are required to operate pedelec.  Vehicles capable of being propelled solely by motor do not meet the City's definition of a bicycle.
I use 902 motors on 3 of my bikes, and I always peddle, applying varying amounts of throttle only when needed.  So I am unlikely to be challenged by the authorities, but my bikes are capable of continuing to operate on motor power if I stop pedalling, so could be considered illegal if they are carefully examined. So how can I prevent the motor from operating if I stop pedalling?

Golden Motor sells a pedelec device that can detect whether the pedals are in motion, but operate the motor at full power when the pedals are in motion. What I need is something that shuts off the throttle when pedals are not turning, but still allows variable throttle while pedalling. Presumably if one of the wires from a thumb throttle is disconnected (I'm not sure which one), the motor will not run.  So if a sensor on the crankset operating as a simple switch that closes a circuit when pedalling and opens the circuit when no pedalling is detected, that switch connected in the throttle wire should work like pedelec with variable throttle control.

Does that sound feasible??   And if so, can the pedelec device from G.M. be modified to operate as a simple switch? Does anybody know?

Roy