Author Topic: E-bike modification parts list?  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Phawsy5

• Confirmed
E-bike modification parts list?
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
Hi all,

I’m looking to convert my Norco Sasquatch Fat-Bike to an e-bike.
It’s my first e-bike conversion, and the cost of parts add up quickly, so I was hoping to run my parts list by some folks with more experience for some feedback.

Here some back ground info for context. The bike is used for daily commutes of about 30Km (round trips) in Ontario Canada. It has 26" x 4.8" tires, disk brakes, and a thumb gear shifter. I recently learned what “pedalac” was and that it’s not necessarily a standard feature. It is however a feature I would like to include in this mod.

On to the list:
1.   FATBIKE Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) 26 Inch Rear Conversion Kit - FB-MP5-26R-Kit - CAD 669.00
  a.   48v Twist Throttle
  b.   USB cable
  c.   2x Torque Arms
  d.   No Bluetooth
2.   Standard Battery Rack – RAK-001 - CAD 54.00
3.   48V10AH LiFePO4 Aluminum Cased Battery - LFP-4810S - CAD 773.00
  a.   3 Amp Charger (I think this is the kind that can plug into a standard NA 120v outlet)
4.   PAS Torque sensor – I still need to confirm the dimensions of the bottom bracket that it will replace. I’ve read that the size should be stamped on the part, but I haven’t removed it yet to check. My best guess at the moment is that it will be some sort of Truvtiv, probably a threaded Howitzer with a 68mm wide shell. The torque sensors on the Golden motor site are listed by spindle length not shell width, and I’ve yet to confirm that measurement.
5.   Cycle Analyst V3 with Shunt - CA3_DPS - CAD 205.00

Does the above list look correct?
Is it missing anything?
Do you see anything that raises some red flags?
Any general words of wisdom to someone just staring out?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:42:57 PM by Phawsy5 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Fat-Bike hubmotor conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

That was the easy part, now comes the difficult bit:
Norco describe "FRONT AND REAR THRU-AXLES" as a "key benefit", but I would describe thru-axles as a "major problem" if you want to install a hubmotor!  :(

If your bike has the thru-axle fitting, you can forget about trying to fit a Magic Pie, as fitting a Magic Pie axle into an Aluminium frame designed for thru axles will be an impossible task for most individuals, and even a skilled engineer with access to machining equipment etc. would probably struggle to adapt it so it would fit properly and also be able to safely transmit the torque through an aluminium frame, which is not designed to withstand any torque transmitted directly via the axle to the frame.

The Magic Pie also requires a thread-on freewheel instead of the splined cassette fitted on the Sasquatch.

A fat-bike that has a steel frame with old style 10mm wide dropouts, is a much better choice for a conversion.  ;)

Alan