Author Topic: Black Pie V5 and Cycle Analyst V3  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Goulder

• Confirmed
Black Pie V5 and Cycle Analyst V3
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
Hi,
I recently purchased a Black Pie V5 and CAV3 from GM and I am having a few setup issues with the CA.

It is setup on a 700c front hub with a 36V 14.5AH battery

I have 2 main issues.

1. Thumb Throttle, set to PassThru
This is wired so the green wire goes to the CA as per picture on GM website and I am using the shunt as supplied.
When starting from a stand still all works fine.
Whilst moving and start to use the throttle the watts displayed are negative, usually -20 to -30 for a couple of seconds the the motor kicks in starts to assist.
If I release the throttle, for example going downhill, then press the throttle again it goes into negative watts before giving assistance.
If the PAS is enabled or disabled it does not make any difference.
I have read (many times) through the Unofficial Guide on the CAV3, I have checked and rechecked and had a friend check the settings and wiring and cannot see anything wrong.
I would like to have a quicker response from the throttle.

Are there any recommended settings for the CAV3 with a Black Pie V5?

2. PAS
PAS is setup according to the Unofficial Guide, 12 poles, 2 wires. Aux Pot is set to watts.
When starting to pedal the watts displayed go negative as described above before quickly going to 400+ watts. If I have the AUX Pot set to zero the PAS does not respond, as it should. If it is set to any wattage it responds a I have described.

Are there any recommended settings?

Any assistance would very welcome.

Thank you,
John

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Black Pie V5 and Cycle Analyst V3
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
Hi John andto the forum.

Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with the Cycle Analyst, but hopefully Gary (GM Canada) will be able to provide suggestions on your CA settings.

Whilst moving and start to use the throttle the watts displayed are negative, usually -20 to -30 for a couple of seconds the the motor kicks in starts to assist.
If I release the throttle, for example going downhill, then press the throttle again it goes into negative watts before giving assistance.

I experienced something very similar on my Smart Pie fitted with a vector controller. After coasting downhill, when I reapplied the throttle, the bike would momentarily slow down slightly before the power started to take effect.
It was almost as if the controller took a while to figure out what was going on before synchronising correctly with the motor.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »
Hi Goulder,

Things to check. to make it work properly...

1 - you want to confirm is the actual settings on the controller with the GM-USD cable. Everything should be maxed except regen and max amps. Leave the amps at 25 and you may want to lower the regen as it is a front wheel.

2 - If this doesn't help then the second thing to confirm is the green throttle wire. Does it operate any differently with the throttle wired directly or with the throttle bypass.

3 - If the settings are maxed and the pause is only when the throttle bypass is done then its a Cycle Analyst 3 settings thing. The CA3 is very complex and I don't know all the settings I have to refer to the manuals for everything.

Check this link to the manual http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-analyst-3.html#ca3-setup-menu

Check the section on "setup throt out" and the "up rate".

This is the up ramp speed on the Cycle Analyst, meaning how fast the throttle will go to full power after activating it. In the GM software "Acceleration" does the same thing.

Gary
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:05:50 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Goulder

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

I maxed the Acceleration and it has fixed the problem.

Thank you very much.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
You are welcome. I'm glad it was an easy fix :)
Have a great holiday :)

Gary