Author Topic: Is there really a difference between the mini motors?  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Is there really a difference between the mini motors?
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:33:15 AM »
Or is it the same motor and you can use 24 OR 36 volt on it?

Anyone know?

Tom?

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Is there really a difference between the mini motors?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »
A friend of mine examined the motor performance curves for 24V and the 36V minimotors. His conclusion was that the motors are the same unit.

For myself, I am waiting to get hold of a 24V motor to measure on...

Offline Lightning Shadow

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »
what sort of speeds are owners of these motors getting?
what max voltage and controllers have you tried?

Offline floatbike

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »
The performance graphs for the mini motor on goldenmotor.com don't look to me like the same unit. 

They both top out at about 225 RPM, but one is at 24V and the other is tested at 36V.  Most likely the only difference between the 24v motor and the 36v motor is gear reduction ratios; less reduction on the 24V motor for the same maximum no load speed. 

I have a 36v mini motor in a 16" cast wheel.  I get 17mph on level ground without pedaling.  While pedaling the motor seems to continue to assist up to about 19-20mph. 

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:36:11 AM »
The performance graphs for the mini motor on goldenmotor.com don't look to me like the same unit. 

They both top out at about 225 RPM, but one is at 24V and the other is tested at 36V.  Most likely the only difference between the 24v motor and the 36v motor is gear reduction ratios; less reduction on the 24V motor for the same maximum no load speed. 

I have a 36v mini motor in a 16" cast wheel.  I get 17mph on level ground without pedaling.  While pedaling the motor seems to continue to assist up to about 19-20mph. 

Where do you see a performance graph for the 24v mini motor?  I only see one for the 36v

Offline floatbike

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »
The document says 36v at the top, but look at the purple line labeled "U", it is at 24v.  Also scroll down and look at the table of numbers used to generate the plot.  The first Colum is voltage.  From 24.02v down to 24.00v.

Now if I could just figure out how to set my 36v BAC281 "magic controller" to work with my old 24V pack...
I tried the incredibly cryptic procedure, posted else ware on this forum, of holding the brake wile blipping the throttle 5 times.
Well, 4 blips of the throttle gets 4 beeps.   But still no motivation with the 24v pack.

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
The document says 36v at the top, but look at the purple line labeled "U", it is at 24v.  Also scroll down and look at the table of numbers used to generate the plot.  The first Colum is voltage.  From 24.02v down to 24.00v.

Now if I could just figure out how to set my 36v BAC281 "magic controller" to work with my old 24V pack...
I tried the incredibly cryptic procedure, posted else ware on this forum, of holding the brake wile blipping the throttle 5 times.
Well, 4 blips of the throttle gets 4 beeps.   But still no motivation with the 24v pack.

They show that graph but have it noted as the 36v mini-motor....

That's why I asked.   I figured it's the same motor, just using 24v as opposed to the 36v.

My main reason for asking, was, If I could use a 36v controller (and batteries) on the "24v" mini motor...???

Tom?   Philip? 

TY in advance

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 03:11:02 PM »
what sort of speeds are owners of these motors getting?
what max voltage and controllers have you tried?

I'm using a 24v Controller (the 24v "magic" controller they sell) and 24v SLA's on the "24v" mini-motor.

No load =17 mph - 24" Tire
Load = 14mph (300lbs = Bike (120lbs) + Me (180lbs)