Author Topic: Problem getting PAS to work  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Largo

• Confirmed
Problem getting PAS to work
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »
  Good day all.  I just did a GM edge build.  Build is as follows 48volt edge, PED-001 PAS 5 pole, PI-405 vec, Bac-601 smart display.  The PAS is mounted on the left side, so the thought crossed my mind that the sensor might be backwards and need to be reversed?  (I tried peddling backwards lol...)  The gap in the sensor is 2-3 mm, but maybe the magnets are not close enough?  I am using a laptop for programming so maybe I missed a setting in the solftware?  Is there a way of checking a sensor?  Does anybody have some ideas on how to troubleshoot this setup?   THanks in advance.  Largo

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem getting PAS to work
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
Hi Largo andto the forum.

I presume the battery voltage is set correctly and the motor runs OK using the throttle?

I have my pedelec sensor fitted on the left hand side and I have the magnet disc as close as possible to the sensor, but without actually touching it.

It is also worth checking that the arrow symbol on the side of the disc is pointing in the forward direction of pedal rotation.

Try setting the "PAS Ratio ( 0.1 times )" setting to 100, select mode 5 on the BAC-601, and then select your lowest gear and see if there are any signs of life from the motor when pedalling at a moderate rate.

Alan

Offline Largo

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:55:11 AM »
Yes set to 48 volt.  Thumb throttle works fine, cruise control works.  I think the PAS ratio setting is set to 30? or so.  I will have to drag my laptop down to the bike and change the setting.  Cross your fingers and wish me luck.  largo

Offline Largo

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
The PAS ratio was set at 30, I changed it to 100.  I get some motor action with PAS settings 2 through 5 now but It is in surges of power.  Pulses of power on pulling 900 watts then power is cut off.  So there is another setting that needs to be tweeked now.   Seems like a step in the right direction.  Largo

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
Unfortunately the basic PAS system is not perfect and it does tend to pulse a bit.

You may be able to improve the pulsing by lowering the "Acceleration" setting so that the pulses of power are hopefully reduced.

You can also experiment with also reducing the "PAS Ratio ( 0.1 times )" setting, as the 100 setting I suggested may be a bit high for normal use, it was basically intended to check that the sensor was actually working. ;)

Unfortunately, it will take some trial and error to find the settings that work best for your particular use.

The best pedelec experience requires a dedicated torque sensor on the bottom bracket in conjunction with a Cycle Analyst unit, but it is a lot more expensive than the simple pedal speed measuring sensor that GM normally supply with their kits.

Alan

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:32:00 PM by Bikemad »