Author Topic: Black Pie 5 no power very slow no bluetooth or windows connect.  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
I have a black pie 5 and on the first ride it will not go over 26kmh and will not connect to Bluetooth or windows. When Bluetooth dongle is connected the motor pulses unless throttle is unplugged. When display is connected it say error 2 when brake is pulled. it will not pull more then 400watts when riding and viewing the display. today was the first major ride for the bike and it sucks that a new setup does not work. I will call goldenmotor Canada this week but I have tried to talk to Gary before and very little luck. My first hurdle with this install was when I mounted the brake disc and the hardware took M6 not M5 bolts and I had to drill the disc out. Talking to Gary about that lead to being ignored so I will see what happends.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
Re: Black Pie 5 no power very slow no bluetooth or windows connect.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:57:59 AM »
I will add that when first connected the motor would go to 64kph on the stand and now will only go to 26kph in the air.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 01:29:32 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

It sounds like some further testing is going to be required to try and locate the cause of your problems.

As the error 2 relates to throttle failure, and it only occurs when you apply the brakes, it's possible that a faulty brake switch could be causing this.

Unplug the front brake lever connector and see if the error code still appears when you apply the rear brake.
If it does, plug the front brake connector back in and unplug the rear brake connector and try again.

If it only occurs on one brake and not the other, the brake lever that is causing the error may be faulty.
However, if both brake levers produce the error 2 code with the other one disconnected, then it could be a problem with the controller itself.  :(

Alan

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
I will try that I think I might have already but will see. I had the bike out just now for another test and it will go to 999watts up a hill then down to 350-100-250-350watts cruising almost like a speed setting. If I could get it to connect to something so I could read it, then I would have more info to be sure. I will add the bike is heavy at 114lb.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »
Sorry to her of your bad contact experience. Maybe it was a time I was on vacation or overwhelmed with shipping. Sorry for that.

Definately Alan's advise is sound. He is the greatest at figuring out these very odd situations. I can only add that recently I have had some customers with  bluetooth devices not allowing the motor to work correctly. Once unplugged the motor works fine. I have also once had a controller that I could not USB connect too. Many people do experience a windows connect issue but once they do things in the proper order do connect.

It is entirely possible a new controller will resolve your issues.

For support the best way to resolve any issue with product from me is to click support and support ticket on the site and we will get things fixed up. I do respond to all tickets and sometimes it ends up in junkmail and people don't relize it. Or if I reply and they don't respond the ticket dies off. Whenever a person reponds to a ticket it is presented to me again. If I post and don't get a response it is not shown to me again. That is how the system decides if tickets are resolved. Other people call, chat, send email, text or contact me on facebook or youtube. Its impossible for me to follow up on a paper trail like that. It all needs to be in a ticket. Unfortunately some people get offended that I cant remeber who they are or what they have told me but I talk to so many people its impossible for me to distiguish one persons issue from another at times. I feel bad about that but its beyond my abilities. Most people don't realize how busy it is here.

Anyway I am sorry for any previous bad experience and definately want to move forward with the current issue if you want to create a ticket on the site.

Gaary

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 02:02:59 AM »
  I can only add that recently I have had some customers with  bluetooth devices not allowing the motor to work correctly. Once unplugged the motor works fine. I have also once had a controller that I could not USB connect too. Many people do experience a windows connect issue but once they do things in the proper order do connect.

It is entirely possible a new controller will resolve your issues.

I have not rode the bike with the dongle in place. So I tried  and it is not drivable at all it chugs and bucks and acts like a pig.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 02:57:21 AM »
I was able to get a download  of the parameters, will do more testing tomorrow. Parameters all look sound.  48 volt (battery is 54volt full) 25amp/70amp/380rpm/. So I guess my next question is what do most see for top speed out of your set up?  My math tells me I am pulling 300-350watts up to 218 rpm of the motor then the watts drop to 0 if going down hill and no watts are pulled till dropping below that rpm again. Its like the controller is set for 218 rpm not 380. I will increase the rpm setting tomorrow and test.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:07:18 AM »
Could very well be the throttle now with all this info.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
Try unplugging the BAC-601 Smart Display unit and see if your top speed increases.

I think your problem could be due to a weak +5V supply from the controller which is allowing the supply voltage going to the throttle to drop well below 5V when additional load is applied (display unit or Bluetooth dongle etc.).
If the power supply to the throttle unit is low, then the throttle signal output will also be low, resulting in the low top speed. ;)

If disconnecting the display unit increases the top speed back to 64kph on the stand, I think a new controller should resolve your speed issues.

On a positive note, you have obviously managed to connect with the controller, but was the connection made via usb or Bluetooth? 

Alan

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
USB. With the Bluetooth not working and the power issue I thought it was related but when Gary post the dongle troubles I re tried the USB and found I was not clicking the top left corner icon at the correct time.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:44:18 PM by Kneedeep »

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
No change with the display unplugged. I have tried to cause a fault by disconnecting the throttle and use the cruise for the half speed limp mode and cannot make that work either. The bike rides as if it is already in this half speed mode it is exactly same speed every test. I tried the fault via brake lever also and cannot make it fault there either.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
I want to take a step back and ask anyone when the brake is pulled and I get ERROR 2 (throttle) does every display do this? If not then I am thinking the fault might be controller/wire loom. If the brake is battery ground 48volt connecting circuit and the throttle is 5volt and signal there should be no interaction except for the controller cut out.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
1 last test before work it is 100% rpm limited. In the air the wheel diameter set at 25inches speed reading for 4 consecutive tests 26.0 kph at 15 watt held as long as you want. Then disconnect rear brake cut-out and test again, 26.0 kph at 0 load pulling 15 watts start to drag the rear brake and drops to 24kph and starts to pull watts up to 500 trying to maintain the rpm limit. So the controller is set at 380rpm I tried to move it up no change. I will need a new controller. I calculate the actual rpm at 218rpm.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
I am able to set my rpm at 100rpm and it slows to half my current speed and back up to 380rpm and still about 220 doing the math set at 250rpm same set at 400rpm same no change. So software is working it just wont go over 220rpm.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
I see you have created a ticket on this issue. Thank you.

I should also note you have 2 other closed tickets.

1 - LCD issue we corrected within 24 hours
2- Throttle issue where you wanted to alter the throttle. We responded but you did not.

No tickets on disk brake screws. As explained earlier we can not effectively follow up on anything without a paper trail in a ticket.

Gary