Author Topic: lights/power indicator/horn/ignition switch for my Magic Pie #  (Read 3513 times)

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
Yes I thought it would be a great idea to have a switch for my magicpie 3 battery.  Well, it comes with a horn and battery life indicator.  Only problem is when I hook it up to the GND I found on the harness for the left brake, it burns the power indicator lights completely out.  I cant figure it out. The light/switch is 48V and so is the battery, well, 50V last time I checked.  I assume it's close enough. Any ideas?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: lights/power indicator/horn/ignition switch for my Magic Pie #
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:37:45 PM »
Do you have a link to this switch, or perhaps you can post further specifications including wiring diagram/instructions and pictures of the switch unit and its wiring connections?

If it is sold for golf cart use, I suspect the horn switch and power indicator lights may be designed to run off the 12V auxiliary supply, which is why it cannot cope on 48V.

I also suspect that the switch is designed to operate a contactor (heavy duty relay or solenoid) rather than passing full battery current to the controller.

What size wires are used on the switch harness?

Hopefully some more details will hopefully enable us to work out what is happening and why.

Alan

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
Re: lights/power indicator/horn/ignition switch for my Magic Pie #
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. I'm using the Magic Pie 3 and harness.  I found the GND on regen brake switch. I took the light apart and found that the wire from the switch to the pcboard was bad on all the lights, (I tried it three times) I re-soldered it and will try again.