Author Topic: BAC-501 and BLDC motor problem  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Idremel

• Confirmed
BAC-501 and BLDC motor problem
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »
Hello to All here  ;) ,

I have Electric outboard motor Haswing 1.2 kW 24V and original controller is Dead. I was order from GM BAC-501 and cable for programming to replace original internal controller with GM external. Motor is BLDC without hall sonde/sensor. When I connect all to controller You can see what bothering me in video below :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvmqGOWOxbQ

This controller can work without hall sensor switching automaticly to hall less option but I don`t Know why don`t.

Battery`s are full charged, motor tested and working on bench...

Please if someone Know how to solve my problem I will be very thankful

BR
Ivan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: BAC-501 and BLDC motor problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
Hi Ivan andto the forum.

Some of the GM controllers that support sensorless operation require the motor to be turning before the sensorless mode can become activated and allow power to be sent to the motor.

Unfortunately, it looks like you will need to find a suitable sensorless controller with a "self-start" function (if your GM controller doesn't support it):(

If you were able to spin the motor using a socket mounted on an electric drill, it might be able to run.
While this is obviously not practical for the intended use, it might help to confirm whether this is the cause of the non starting problem.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:18:45 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Idremel

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
Hello Alan and thanks on welcome,

Thanks on fast answer but if You can see video below what I found, You will see that controller works in sensorless mode with no problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDMR9t-Xt_s

BR

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »
Hi Ivan and thanks for posting the video link. I have just amended my previous post as it is clear from the video that some of the GM controllers do have the self-start function in sensorless mode.

However, the controller in Gary's video is a BAC-028*P, not the BAC-0501 that you are using, so I am wondering whether this controller also has the self-start function in sensorless mode.  :-\

Battery`s are full charged, motor tested and working on bench...
When your motor was working on the bench, was it using the BAC-0501 controller? If it was, did you have the motor disconnected from the outboard's gear drive mechanism during the test?

Did the motor run "rough and jerky" or "smooth and even" when tested on the bench?

If it ran correctly on the bench, but now won't run at all, is there anything else that might have occurred since the bench test? (Shorted Phase wires or reversed battery connections etc.)   Perhaps it could just be a poor connection on one of the Phase wires or battery connections?

Alan

Offline Idremel

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:37:16 AM »
I Know that isn`t same controllers but isn`t that two controller similar just difference in power?

When I said that Works on bench, it Works with no problem with old controller before I put this GM controller because I have two same outboards and I was plan to put two new GM BAC 0501 external. So gear mechanism is all ok everything ran smooth with original controller, and symptoms when I connect GM looks just like wont start sensorless mode :( as You can see on my First video :(