Author Topic: MP5 Thumb Throttle  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
MP5 Thumb Throttle
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
I opened up my new MP5 kit and got to the thumb throttle and was a bit disappointed....

It looks pretty tacky but worse of all the thumb lever is nowhere near as nice and ergonomic as the MP3 version (which I have enjoyed for so many miles...)

I thought fine - I'll just use my MP3 throttle but quickly realised that wouldn't work as the harness and throttle connectors are now reversed (harness has the male connections and throttle has the female).

OK - I'll just switch over the thumb ring part but no - the old thumb ring doesn't fit onto the new throttle housing.

Worst of all is that there is now no way to open the throttle housing. In previous builds I have opened this up and filled the whole housing with silicone grease to stop water ingress causing unpleasant activity when it's raining (which has happened before...)

I guess my only option is to cut the ends off both throttles and solder/heatshrink the 5 wires in the cable so I can connect my old MP3 throttle to the new female connector.

Does anybody else have a view on this? Am I the only one missing the old throttle...  :)

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: MP5 Thumb Throttle
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:04:00 AM »
Personally I'd cut the throttle off and solder on one that does not have the LED indicator, that's what causes the full throttle bursts when wet. You'd be better to invest in a Cycle Analyst from Grin.ca to keep track of distance/watts/voltage. ::)