Author Topic: Problem when upgrading from Smart Pie 3 to 5  (Read 3643 times)

Offline TerryNZ

• Confirmed
Problem when upgrading from Smart Pie 3 to 5
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
I'm using a SP3 in non-bike situation where both forward and reverse rotation are used just about the same.
SP3 supported the cruise and acceleration level functions in both forward and reverse rotation.
Now I've just bought an SP5 and same settings only work in the forward direction.
In reverse the cruise switch and acceleration level setting have no affect.
Is this a fault or is this how the SP5 is ?
Any help appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem when upgrading from Smart Pie 3 to 5
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:14:08 PM »
Hi Terry,

Unfortunately, this just seems to be the way that the Sine Wave controllers are set to operate.

After the MP4 was initially launched, I emailed GM regarding the lack of cruise control in reverse and how it would be a major problem for four wheeled vehicles where one motor was fitted on each side of the vehicle and both motors run in opposite directions.
I also asked, "Is it still possible to reverse the direction of the motor by swapping phase wires and hall sensor wires around so that the cruise control can still be used, or would this technique not work properly with the MP4 and SP4 vector controllers?"

The reply I received said:
"There is no cruise function for reverse right now. We can open this control feature in future.
Yes, you can swap phase wires to reverse the motor but only one direction can have cruise function."

I'm guessing that your particular application uses a single motor, in which case there would be no benefit in swapping phase wires etc. to alter the direction of the motor.

Unfortunately, unlike the Magic Pies, there is not enough available space inside the Smart Pies to install high current crossover relays to physically swap two of the Phase wires (and matching pair of Hall sensor wires) to reverse the motor direction instead of activating the software controlled reverse function within the controller.
But if it were possible, it should allow the acceleration level and cruise control function to operate the same in both directions.

The only way I can see of achieving this with the Sine Wave controller would be to mount the entire controller and the additional relays etc. into an external housing, but this would entail a lot of work, and would no longer allow for the existing compact, neat and tidy installation.

Alan

Offline TerryNZ

• Confirmed
Re: Problem when upgrading from Smart Pie 3 to 5
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
Hi Alan
Thank you very much for your very informative reply and suggestions, and I suppose there may be some hope if GM indicated that the feature may be available in the future.
At the moment I'm not sure what I will do as there are other people involved in the project, and I still have the SP3, but thanks again for your reply.