Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 Bluetooth review - Awesome!  (Read 5565 times)

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Magic Pie 5 Bluetooth review - Awesome!
« on: November 15, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »
The Magic Pie has a connector which the user can connect to an LCD screen to view speed, USB plug to program controller, or the Bluetooth dongle; which allows both viewing of speed/data info and programming.  But only one thing can be connected to it, which makes the Bluetooth dongle the most practical and dynamic way to connect to your Magic Pie 5.

I recently received my Bluetooth connector for my Magic Pie from Golden Motor.  I was disappointed because the IOS/Apple version of the software is not out yet (I assume this is due to Apple's strange standards for accepting apps, rather than GM).  So I needed to acquire an Android device.  I looked around and settled on Amazon's Fire. It is too big for practical use, unless I get some kind of special mount for it. I suppose I could watch movies while I am biking or whatever, but I think a smaller device would be better. 

I needed to unlock the part of the Fire which prevents unauthorized apps from being loaded onto the tablet.  I did this, then easily loaded the software available from GM website.  I turned on the bike's battery, and the GM's App detected the Magic Pie. Now for the good stuff.

You can program the controller like you can with the USB plug- but right from your phone or tablet. This is cool for certain situations.  Maybe you want to turn off regen brakes while driving in city, and turn down the acceleration.  Get to a less populated area, change it back.

The next important feature is the speedometer screen.  This gives a live reading of KMPH; a tough sell in America where we roll in MPH-(I have not figured out if you can change this, but I am sure if not, it will be modified in the future).  In addition to the speed, are the RPMs, power (volts), current (amperage), an odometer, and the PAS control.  There is also a Bluetooth button to connect to the controller,  the settings button to program the controller, but also a log button.

I was not aware of the log button, but it takes you to a screen that logs your ride's information.  A pretty cool feature which charts the stats of every ride, and provides a total.  For example it lists start time, duration, max speed, max rpms, voltage, etc.  Check out the picture to see them all.

The GM bluetooth is definitely a step above the LCD used in conjunction with USB or just the LCD alone.  To make the most of the MP5, one needs at least a connection to the controller.  The bluetooth is the most convenient and dynamic method for programming the controller and visualizing the data of your rides'.  GM says it is still a few months away from the IOS version- so if you have Apple, you are out of luck for a while, or you can do like I did and just buy an android device.  There really is just so much potential for this App and MP5.  Other have discussed the possibility of connecting an alarm; lock out the motor (so it wont turn and have to be lifted, making it harder to steal; programming the regen braking; and maybe in the future, a wireless system.  So I think it is awesome in that it inspires awe in me when I consider its current use and future potential.

Have a Golden Day!
Dangwillo

Disclaimer- I deal/distribute GM products, but only because I like the products.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:58:50 PM by Dangwillo »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 Bluetooth review - Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »
I was disappointed because the IOS/Apple version of the software is not out yet (I assume this is due to Apple's strange standards for accepting apps, rather than GM).

I thought it might have been because Apple's Bluetooth does not generally like connecting to all Bluetooth devices as they don't appear to want users sharing files via Bluetooth. I have never been able to successfully share picture files from my Android phone to an iPhone via Bluetooth, which (apart from their extortionate prices) is another reason why I won't purchase an Apple device.

The next important feature is the speedometer screen.  This gives a live reading of KMPH; a tough sell in America where we roll in MPH-(I have not figured out if you can change this, but I am sure if not, it will be modified in the future).

We have the exact same problem in the UK, and as far as I am aware there is no built in function on the GM Android App to convert from metric to imperial, although there is an easy way that you can make it appear like it is working in miles and mph by simply entering a value of 1.61 into the "Variable ratio" setting:

Although everything will still be labelled in km and km/h, the actual figures logged and the speedometer/trip mileage readings should be the same as the imperial equivalent (had that option been available).

I'm disappointed that the Bluetooth functionality cannot be used in conjunction with the BAC-601 Smart LCD Display unit for three main reasons;
  • I like the convenience of having a permanently fixed display on the bike
  • I prefer using the separate handlebar mounted button unit for selecting the desired PAS level
  • I like having an odometer to keep track the total mileage that the bike has covered

I would ideally like to see the Smart LCD Display with integrated Bluetooth connectivity which would allow a smart phone or similar Bluetooth device to be using in addition to the Smart Display rather than instead of it.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:46:48 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Magic Pie 5 Bluetooth review - Awesome!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »
I would ideally like to see the Smart LCD Display with integrated Bluetooth connectivity which would allow a smart phone or similar Bluetooth device to be using in addition to the Smart Display rather than instead of it.

I love the idea, and I wonder how much something like that would cost?  I would settle for a smart LCD that had access to programming the controller.