Author Topic: Problems with PAS system on Smart Pie 4! Need help  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Rubycon

• Confirmed
Problems with PAS system on Smart Pie 4! Need help
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
Hallo all,
this is my esperience using a SmarPie 4 with BAC display and PAS.
It seems that I am lucky because the PAS itself works very well. I started using it in congiunction with a thumb throttle and after a while I decided to get rid of the throttle which, by the way, is not legal here in Italy.
But there are two issues which seem to be shared also by others:
the travelled distance reported by the dispay is incorrect just like Westoz pointed out: my 17 km daily commute is reported to be 13,5 km, off by 25% approximately. And there is no way to fix this playing with the wheel diameter parameter. The reported speed is more or less correct setting the wheel diameter at 28".
Other issue is that when the throttle is disconnected the display will show an error code 2 instead of the current power in Watts.
So the point is that I love the way that PAS works with my bike, but the display is almost useless. (but I must keep it installed since the PAS won't work without it).

Rubycon
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:46:41 AM by Rubycon »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problems with PAS system on Smart Pie 4! Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
Hi Rubycon andto the forum.

Reducing the wheel diameter should improve the distance reading, but it would obviously increase the speed reading at the same time.

It should be possible to fit a small 10K trimmer in place of the throttle to eliminate the Error code 2.

You would need to solder it to the old throttle connector cable and carefully insulate the unused battery feed and lighting feed wires.
The trimmer would need to be adjusted to give a voltage of ~1V on the throttle signal wire to simulate the original throttle output at rest.

A much simpler alternative would be to simply cut the thumb lever off the thumb throttle unit so you could keep it plugged in as an LED battery gauge and lighting switch unit, and also to prevent the error code 2 from being displayed.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:05:40 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Rubycon

• Confirmed
Re: PAS system on Smart Pie 4
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:57:47 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions Alan
Regarding the reported distance problem its not possible to fix it playing with the wheel diameter because the difference is just too much (in my unit you must set the wheel diameter and the maximum is 29"). BTW the problem is not related to the use of PAS, it just seems that my version of the BAC display has some sort of bug.
What I would really like is having the PAS working without the dispay to keep things clean and simple. But I think this is not possible.

In any case we are talking about minor details in my opinion (the title was refering to an older post...I'm not that much concerned!)  I've heard many complaints about the PAS system on SP /MP but  my unit works perfectly well and is a real pleasure to ride.
Daily commute has turned from nightmare (by car) to a real pleasure :)

Rubycon
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:00:45 AM by Rubycon »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problems with PAS system on Smart Pie 4! Need help
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
Regarding the reported distance problem its not possible to fix it playing with the wheel diameter because the difference is just too much (in my unit you must set the wheel diameter and the maximum is 29").

If your display shows an "ERROR 1" when you apply the brakes instead of the later E65 (which indicates the Electronic Braking System is active) it should have the adjusting factor which allows any of the standard sizes to either be increased or reduced by up to 30% in 1% increments:

Although I would prefer the speedometer to read correctly (in preference to the distance) as my trip counter mileage reading is always lost when power is disconnected anyway.

If you know that the distance is off by 25% you can easily calculate the correct overall distance from the stored odometer reading by multiplying it by 1.25.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:23:39 PM by Bikemad »