Author Topic: MPII wiring harness damaged  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Stompingthompson

• Confirmed
MPII wiring harness damaged
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:49 PM »
Hi Alan,

My name's Kyle and I've been riding on my Nirve cannibal chopper with a Magic Pie 2 rear hub motor. I had a disc brake on the back  that got loose and one of the screws severed my wire harness. I was able to get in touch with the chinese distributor and received a new controller and wire harness for my hub yesterday. Gary pointed me to you as you have experience with swapping out an old controller and harness on the Magic Pie 2. I'm pretty green when it comes to electrical stuff and wouldn't feel all the comfortable taking this job on by myself. I was wondering if I could pay you to do this for me? It would mean a lot as I truly love riding my chopper around the city. Hope this email sees you well.

Regards,
Kyle Thompson
E:stompingthompson@gmail.com
C:613-870-1857

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MPII wiring harness damaged
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 01:20:50 AM »
Hi Kyle andto the forum.

Unfortunately, I have far too many projects on the go at the moment so I am not able to undertake the repairs myself, but even if I had the necessary time and workspace available, I suspect that shipping costs to and from the UK would probably be very expensive. ;)

Is there anybody near to you with reasonable mechanical and soldering ability who would be prepared to undertake the controller and motor harness replacement?

Alan

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:10 AM »
first question is where he is located

Laurence

Offline Stompingthompson

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
lol, I hadn't a clue you were all the way out there. Pretty funny. Uhh I'm based in downtown Toronto. So I've removed all the screws from both sides of the hub and nothing seems to be getting loose on it. Do I need to hit with a mallet or something like that?

Offline Stompingthompson

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
No love?

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »
Hello,

I may be able to refer you to someone who can help but I don't know if I am allowed to refer to non-gm companies in this board...

If you pm me, I'll try to help you figure out a solution.

Adam

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:51:28 AM »
mine had silicone holding the controller on after I removed the screws ,I just used a flat screw driver and a small hammer to pry the two apart, if you have the new one you can see where the old one and motor join , hit it at thatspot, a little tapping should separate. sorry that's mp111 .the 11 ive heard using a gear puller to separate the motor
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:54:20 AM by Supchrgamx »

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:57:31 AM »
didn't gary have a video somewhere on doing it

Offline AdamB

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 04:30:10 AM »
I'm sure Gary or Alan have made such a video... Afterall they both have made videos on just about every subject imaginable...

My point is just that he explicitly said he "didn't" want to do it himself & wanted a professional repair...

That's why I said I'm pretty sure I can recommend someone in Toronto that does such those but they are a GM competitor, so I wasn't sure if that's OK to mention publicly on GM's forum.

Adam

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
So I've removed all the screws from both sides of the hub and nothing seems to be getting loose on it. Do I need to hit with a mallet or something like that?

The technique I use is to hit the end of the axle with a large rubber mallet until the cover on the opposite side comes loose.
A block of wood and a large hammer can be used if necessary.
The covers on later motors are sealed with silicon sealant and it might be better to try and separate them at the joint using the thin blade of an old knife by tapping it in around the casing until it comes away.

Once the cover is removed, the opposite side cover can hopefully be removed by using a piece of wood as a drift and tapping the remaining cover from the inside as near to the outer edge as possible. Rotating the stator will allow you work your way around the entire cover, especially the section that is hidden behind the controller's heatsink plate.

The bearing on the left side of the axle has the harness wires going through it and will need to be moved back from the stator to allow the cable to be fed through the slot in the axle.

Take a good picture of the connections on the old controller or make a detailed note of all the wiring connections before unsoldering the wires from the controller and withdrawing the wiring from under the bearing.  There are circlips fitted to this side which is used to retain the bearing (and also prevent the wire from rubbing against the inside of the hub) which will need to be removed.

I recommend filing or sanding the edge of the slot to prevent the new cable from becoming damaged by chaffing against the sharp edges.

Check out this post for more information, and also this one showing pictures from a similar procedure with the external controller wiring.

Alan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:50:37 PM by Bikemad »