Author Topic: Smart Pie 4 Error 1 on brakes and error 9  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
Smart Pie 4 Error 1 on brakes and error 9
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:01:25 AM »
Hej

Got Error 1 when using the brakes. They do work and the Electronik brake is brakin the wheel.
I f I hold the brake I get a high pitch noise from the controller and then error 9 appears (okey sometimes it appears). If I stop braking everything is normal again.

What could be the problem. I do not get PAS to work either so I guess this is a old controller...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smart Pie 4 Error 1 on brakes and error 9
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
It is perfectly normal for the Error 1 to appear when either of the brake levers is pulled.

I have also been able to make the Error 9 appear but only while operating the brake lever with the throttle held open:

When the Error 9 fault code appears it can easily be reset by turning the battery power off for a couple of seconds and then back on again.

I suggest you double check the installation of the pedelec sensor as they can be very temperamental.
When the Magic Pie was first produced there were several posts on the forum claiming that the pedelec was fixed and not variable, so I decided to conduct a definitive test.
I had the magnet ring mounted in an electric drill so that I could spin it at different speeds in order to see whether the PAS was proportional to the pedal speed or simply a fixed amount regardless of pedal speed. 
I tried many things, including turning the magnet ring over, changing the direction of rotation and adjusting the gap between the magnets and the sensor until I eventually found a combination that would make the motor spin correctly but it was not easy.
I was able to confirm that the motor speed did in fact change the power relative to the actual speed of the drill as the wheel speed would increase in relation to the speed of the drill.

The magnet ring needs to be the right way around to work and should be fitted as close as possible to the sensor (without actually touching it) to give the best response.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:24:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »
Ha  :) Okey I got the same on my large Magic Pie4. Just confusing why display Error 1 when brake?

I remounted all connection and I think the error 9 is gone.

The pedlec I got have one black one red and one green. Should I connect this to the short cable near the engine right?

black to black red to red and then yellow to green ? 

Nothing happens. I got the sensor real tight to the disc also.
Anything else to test?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »
The pedlec I got have one black one red and one green. Should I connect this to the short cable near the engine right?

black to black red to red and then yellow to green ? 

Nothing happens. I got the sensor real tight to the disc also.
Anything else to test?

Those connections should be correct.

Sometimes, if the magnet ring is fitted the wrong way around, you can actually pedal backwards and make the motor cut in. But if yours is not responding at all, I suspect a more recent controller will be required.

Alan

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
 :'( Yes that what I suspect since the dealer in here in Sweden has not tested and said it probably should not work.

So Then I need switch the whole controller with cabels and everything?