Author Topic: New Motor-- nothing. Won't turn. Please help.  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
New Motor-- nothing. Won't turn. Please help.
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:12:40 PM »
I received my shipment and finally hooked up the NEW Vector motor to my old battery (48/10 Life, which was connected to MP3--all good. No problems at all, at anytime with 3500+ miles!) and the Vector motor doesn't turn. The lights on the throttle illuminate, but that's it. I give it thumb (throttle) and the motor doesn't respond.
I checked connections, and the "appear" to be okay...they seem less "sure" than my previous GM connectors for the MP3. I looked inside the throttle connector and noticed five "holes" for pins yet inside the connector on the harness side is only four pins.  Seems odd. 

Also, I hook up the USB cable (first time I have done this) and nothing seems to be happening... I mean, I don't know if I'm getting a response feed from the motor. I have the battery connected to it, but the computer doesn't do anything in response to getting "hooked up" with the USB cable.

I'm clueless what to do.
Please help.
Thanx in advance.
Staying young thru our toys.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New Motor-- nothing. Won't turn. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
Are you sure you connected the throttle to the correct connector on the harness?

On the main harness, the connector for the throttle definitely should have five pins, the connector for the cruise control and horn switch has four pins, and the two connectors for the two brake switches only have three pins each.

With regard to the program connection problem, first make sure you have the correct USB lead with a 5 pin connector.

Then read this post for further details.

Please let us know what the problem is/was. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:33:23 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Scooter

• Confirmed
Re: New Motor-- nothing. Won't turn. Please help.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
Thanx for your post--
I looked inside the connectors of both ends and discovered that the throttle side did indeed have five pins but one was bent and obviously not making contact (or was not getting inserted into its proper hole on the other connector).
I carefully straightened the bent pin--thankfully, it did not break!. It fit into the proper hole and the throttle now works!

Now I have to deal with the USB cable as it is not the correct cable.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:24:43 AM by Scooter »
Staying young thru our toys.