Author Topic: Smartpie broken after installing disc rotor bolts?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Herkell

• Confirmed
Smartpie broken after installing disc rotor bolts?
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:55:00 AM »
Hi,

I just installed the disc rotor bolts on a smartpie motor (without integrated controller), and the motor now only spins with a LOT of resistance! And it doesn't spin smoothly - it spins in short, jerky movements.

The disc rotor bolts are pretty long, but I measured the depth and they don't make it to the bottom of the disc rotor holes in the motor...

I opened the motor up with a gear puller, and saw no damage to the inside. All bearing were fine as well.

Any idea what's happening, and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!
Henry

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smartpie broken after installing disc rotor bolts?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:24:04 AM »
Hi Henry,

Was it still the same when you removed the disc mounting bolts again?

Is the motor stiff to turn by hand or just when it's running under its own power?
If the motor turns freely by hand but runs rough it will be an electrical problem, not mechanical.

With a front Smart Pie, the bolts should simply bottom out in the threaded holes if they are too long, but with a rear motor they can jam into the controller housing (or the cable outlet plate in your case) and cause a lot of resistance to turning.

If your controller has not been connected, it's possible that two of the phase wire connectors are touching against each other which make the motor very difficult to spin by hand.

If your wires are all connected up and it still feels rough try disconnecting the phase leads from the controller (making sure their connectors are not touching) and then try spinning the wheel again to see if the problem disappears.

Please let us know what you find.

Alan

Offline Herkell

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 03:44:47 AM »
Alan -

Thank you so much for the help! It turned out that the phase wires were stuck together - no big deal! I'm learning... ::)

I have another question, though: I've put the bike together, and the motor vibrates the bike a LOT at low speeds. The front wheel isn't rubbing against anything, but transmits a lot of vibration through the fork to the handlebars.

Anyone encounter this before? Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!
Henry

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »

Good to hear it was something very simple.

I have another question, though: I've put the bike together, and the motor vibrates the bike a LOT at low speeds. The front wheel isn't rubbing against anything, but transmits a lot of vibration through the fork to the handlebars.

Anyone encounter this before? Any idea how to fix this?

As you have started another thread regarding this question, I have posted my answer there.

Alan