Author Topic: Battery is reversing its polarity, what to do, help me pls  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Qosmius

• Confirmed
Hi

I ordered a magicpie 3 motor with a  48V12Ah battery.

I had this bike for approximately 2-3 months and it was working completely fine.  :)

but suddenly 1 day when I plug it into my bike, it goes in reverse suddenly. I am stunned by this and I use a voltmeter from a friend to check it and the polarities has been reversed for some reason.

i tried to replug the battery in bike again because I couldnt believe my eyes and never heard of this thing before  and then I heard a spark, I pulled battery out as fast as I heard this spark. but when I use voltmeter again the battery had normal values again and the bike was working fine.

but now again 2-3 days later I used my bike for a 10km ride, I took a short break for 5-10 min, when I plugged the battery back in and wanted to ride it went into reverse again.

pls help me, I do not know what to do, I am devastated that this amazing products is doing this to me  :'(

Kind regards Tommy

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery is reversing its polarity, what to do, help me pls
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
Hi Tommy andto the forum.

It is not possible for a GM battery to reverse its polarity, but even if it was, it would still not make the motor run backwards.
I suspect it's far more likely that the meter leads may have been transposed giving the impression that the battery output was wrong, even though it was correct.

It is quite normal for a big spark to be produced when connecting the battery if the battery is already switched on before being plugged in.

If the motor is running backwards it is possible that the two wires that are used to switch reverse are touching each other.
Carefully inspect the unused black and blue wires coming from the short unused lead on the motor harness and make sure the insulation has not retracted due to shrinkage and is allowing the exposed copper wires to touch against each other.

If you have LED lights fitted to the bike, the reversed motor problem could also occur if the exposed blue wire in the short lead touches any exposed metal part of the frame.

If those unused "Reverse" wires are not causing the problem, it may be a fault within the motor harness, or the controller's programmable chip causing the motor direction to be reversed.

Please let us know what you find.

Alan

P.S.
Tommy, this is a copy of the PM reply I sent to you yesterday just before I got involved with trying to find out why you were experiencing problems accessing the forum.

I cannot find a reason for the error message you received as neither your username or IP address is banned.
If your browser connects via a proxy server it might be the servers IP address that is causing the problem and not yours.

If a proxy server is not being used, it might be worth changing your password and/or email address to see if this makes any difference.

If you're still experiencing problems, please let me know and I will investigate further.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:43:41 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery is reversing its polarity, what to do, help me pls
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »

One more suggestion, if you have a USB programming lead, it might be worth disabling the reverse function to see if it helps. If the problem is being caused by wires touching occasionally within the harness, disabling reverse should eliminate the problem that you are intermittently experiencing.

Alan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Problem cured
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »
Please let us know what you find.

Here's the latest message that I received from Tommy earlier today:

thx, yes that seemed to be the problem, it works properly now :)

Tommy, it's good to know it's now working properly again, but it might be very useful for others experiencing a similar problem to know what the exact cause of the problem was and how you managed to rectify it. ;)

Alan