Author Topic: Battery voltage drops 3.2v...  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Battery voltage drops 3.2v...
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »
Hi Folks,

My GM 48 V LiFePO4 drops 3 Volts very quickly after a full charge.  I assume that means I have a bad cell.  Any testing suggestions, alternative possibilities, sources of replacement parts, etc?   For background, I have kept it charged during the winter by charging it when it dropped to 52-54 volts indicated. My guess would be that it has been 100% discharged a very few times, most times I go by output voltage to determine when to charge it.  Probably charged it less than 50 times total.  Never out in the rain, never dropped, I use a remote disconnect switch....

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery voltage drops 3.2v...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
Hi Dennis,

If it was just one cell I would expect the BMS to cut out in order to protect the single cell that was low, so it must be something else.

Perhaps you have some unwanted resistance across the switch contacts that is causing the voltage drop?
I recently charged a 24V NiMh pack only to find that the voltage was actually reading lower when it was fully charged than it was before I plugged it in. I investigated the problem and discovered that the voltage would occasionally jump from ~22V to over 28V when I slowly wiggled the key switch while in the "On" position. Problem solved! ;)

I also had a 300A battery isolator switch on my Kit Car cause a similar problem. I connected as freshly charged battery but I couldn't even get any of the dash lights to come on.
Using a voltmeter, I traced the problem to a poor internal contact within the main isolator switch which was showing 13V on one contact and 0V on the other. So to prove a point, I simply shorted the two contacts on the back of the switch with the blade of a screwdriver and everything started to work again. :)

If you remove the end of the battery to access the BMS board you should be able to measure the voltages of each group of cells at the balance lead connector to see if they are all similar voltages.

As yours is a LiFePO4 pack it will have 16 single cells instead of the 13 groups of 3 shown above.

Alan

P.S. Gary (GM Canada) can supply the correct LiFePO4 cells.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:46:49 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the help.

I don't think a contact resistance fault is the problem, as the output voltage is low but steady as current draw increases.  But I'll definitely flick the switches a few times. 

Am I to understand that the BMS should shut down the battery output if one cell drops below the low voltage spec, or does it take the total output of the serial string to drop below the low voltage spec to shut down the battery?

Are there any safety precautions I should be aware of before I open up the battery pack?  I have had a battery explode in a Mini Cooper, and I have no desire to repeat the experience.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »
Am I to understand that the BMS should shut down the battery output if one cell drops below the low voltage spec, or does it take the total output of the serial string to drop below the low voltage spec to shut down the battery?

Most BMS boards are designed to individually monitor each cell (or groups of paralleled cells) to ensure that no single cell is either overcharged or over-discharged, and will typically cut all power if any of the cells fall below the pre-set minimum voltage in order to prevent irreversible cell damage.

As far as safety precautions go, simply keep any metal objects or pieces of jewellery etc. well away from the circuit board or exposed connections, and be very careful not to short together any of the connections to the balance lead with your meter probes as the tracks are very close together.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:02:37 PM »
I have had some experience in repairing these batteries. Changed a few cells and key switches in the past. One thing for sure I know from experience is if you ground the positive wire at the key switch it will create a spark that with scare the crap out of you. But still does not seem to damage anything. Once its out of the case it is very easy to work on without having any issues. If you do have to replace a cell try to get the cell voltage to match the pack before installing it. This will quickly get this going well rather than waiting for the cell to self balance. This can take a long time. If you want to have a look inside I did cut one open with picture in the past. I know its in the forum here somewhere but here is a link to it in my FAQ.

Gary

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/FAQ/questions.php?questionid=11

Offline Aliasssss

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:23 AM »
Hi Folks,

My GM 48 V LiFePO4 drops 3 Volts very quickly after a full charge.  I assume that means I have a bad cell.  Any testing suggestions, alternative possibilities, sources of replacement parts, etc?   For background, I have kept it charged during the winter by charging it when it dropped to 52-54 volts indicated. My guess would be that it has been 100% discharged a very few times, most times I go by output voltage to determine when to charge it.  Probably charged it less than 50 times total.  Never out in the rain, never dropped, I use a remote disconnect switch....

TTFN,
Dennis

Hey.

It does not matter if you fully discharge a LiFePO4, I mean it does reduce the number of cycles you'll get, but you will still get at least 1200-1500 100% depth of discharge (DoD) cycles. If you only discharge to 80% you can get about 1600-2000 cycles out of it, depending on the cells make and type.

LiFePO4 only use at most about 3% of their charge over a month so if you store them over winter at 50% state of charge (SoC), after 4 months it will still have about 38% so you DO NOT NEED to charge it once a month. That is a typical misconception inherited from the lead-acid type batteries. Also LiFePO4 have no memory effect ( as all lithium based cells) so you can charge and discharge them as it suits you best without consequences.

It is important to store the Lithium based cells (LiFePO4 included) at ~ 40% SoC when not used for more than 1 month, that is to prolong it's life because at the 40% SoC level the internal oxidation processes are at their lowest.

For a typical 48v LiFePO4 battery nominal voltage is 3.3v so that means that a 16s pack voltage (nominal) will be 52.8v, but can reach as high as 56.8v when fully charged. Do not measure the voltage while charging because LiFePO4 chargers output between 57.7v and 58.4v, depending on make and type. Right after charge the 48v LiFePO4 battery voltage can be as high as 56.8v but it will drop over time (around 3 hours) to about 53.6v. That is probably why you say that your pack's voltage drops about 3v. It is a normal behavior of LiFePO4 cells. Although you can put about 3.6v into each of them, over time they tend to stabilize at around 3.35v... At least that is what I can confirm based on my 2 years and about 100 cycles limited LiFePO4 experience.

I never use BMS on my pack. Both type of BMS modules largely available will over time kill your lowest capacity cells, one by one. There is no way in avoiding that as all cell are different in capacity.

What I've done is I bottom balanced my cells to 2.75v each before making the pack. I've set my charger to output only 57.6v (instead of 58.4v). I try to use the cells in the 10%-90% state of charge interval, that is to prolong their life and avoid any unbalance. When the top set voltage is reached my lowest capacity cell reach about 93% SoC while The highest capacity one is about 89% charged.

When my pack is fully discharged, the cells will always reach 2.75v at the same time, thus keeping them properly balanced. There is no need to discharge them to 2.75v each time as the 2.95v is reached the same time and that is under 5% state of charge.

Initially I planed to bottom re-balance the pack every 6 months or so but after 2 years and over 100 cycles the cells are still balanced within 0.01v, probably more but that is the precision of my volt meter, and my pack also has had it's fair share of fully drained experiences... at least 10 cycles to 0% SoC.

I initially learned about the lithium based bottom balance technique from EVTV guys (EVTV.me), hope it's not considered advertising because it's not intended that way)

Hope this helps someone out there. Cheers!