Author Topic: Magic Pie 2 won't program  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Magic Pie 2 won't program
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »
First, forgive me if I am posting this twice, but it appears the first posting disappeared since the server was down (?)

I have a Magic Pie 2 with built in controller.

I also bought a USB programming cable. Maybe this is wrong programming cable? It has no label.

I need to set my Magic Pie on max speed, but max current 15A. Problem is the BMS on the battery shuts down. My battery can only deliver 15A max.

I connected an analogue ampere meter in series with the 48V power supply, it goes from 0-25A. The pointer hits 25A+ sometimes.

So connected the USB cable, 48V off. Program says connected in red letters, motor clicks, program beeps. Both beep continuously.

However, motor does not respond to programming or remember my setting. Cannot read data either. Have tried several times.
When I first got the motor I got the same fault. Says connected in red letters, but no response. In a you tube video the programmer
gets feedback in the field "connected" but I am missing those messages as shown in the you tube video.

Using program PI200.

Now, could it be I have a wrong USB cable? Or is the controller broken?

If the controller is broken I need a new one.
It is no problem soldering the old one out as I have both 20W and 100W soldering iron, also tin pump.

I need to ask GM for a replacement, but I would also like to buy an extra controller board to have as spare. It takes to long to wait for spare parts if something fails.

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Magic Pie 2 won't program
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
Hello Marsbar
the cable is quite a simple USB-2-Seriell Adapter/Converter. As soon as your PD280 Programm says connected you should be able to read the datas (=get config), change Continous to 1C and Peak to about 10% under the BMS limit (48V and 15A or 1C) and then store (Store/Save) it back. Under Vista+ you need to run the exe as administrator (right mouse click) to get access to the COM Port and be allowed to set BAUD rate and co.
48V means running in 1kW mode which is quite heavy for a 15A only. What does your Li-block allow on C's? Running it on max states will surely shorten the lifespan. The BMS just justifies it.
Maybe you should limit it to 1C (as mine) just to run in the safe area. When your block is 15Ah then 15A is quite OK and should enable a good lifespan.
A defective controllerboard with only the NVRAM or I/O destroyed is very unlikely.
But remember that the MP2/3 Controller was not build for 48V as most components have 48V maximum rating, while a typ LiPo/LiMn Block 16 cells goes up to 63,6V which often blows the controller on the first run.
Cheers
Sam

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »
The problem is exactly that, I cannot read not write data. But the program says connected... As said before, the YouTube video shows you can read data etc. and write.

My battery can only deliver 15A/10Ah, so it need to be set at 8A, but max speed... I am killing the battery at the moment and the BMS often shuts down up a hill.
I also don't want more acceleration or power due to battery capacity, but good speed on a flat road is allways welcome...

When I got the motor I programmed it at 15A, but it appears the controller never registered my settings. If you look in the YouTube program, it gives you feedback after "Get Config" that it has read data. Mine only says "Connected" all the time. Thus either the controller board or USB cable is faulty. What is more likely?

I am running Windows 7, and operation system recognices USB plug and says "TaDa" when plugging in, and program "Connected" and beeping in both program and Wheel.

But no "Get config" or "Save" confirmation.

Motor is less than a year old so hoping for replacement card, also hoping to buy a spare card also just in case...

As for the voltage I am running 48V lithium Ion battery. But motor says it can be run on 48V so I see no problem here... that's beyond my judgement.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:18:34 PM by Marsbar »

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
I tried all the software versions I could find on the net. Any big difference between versions? In windows 7 I just run it no settings. Other things I can try?  I suspect the card allways was defect. Since I get the message connect but no more I suspect the board to be defect. How do you rub the program in windows 7, any special settings somewhere? I also have an old Windows XP computer SP3.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:36:22 PM by Marsbar »

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »
Hi Marsbar
did you start the App as Administrator (it's NOT enough to be an admin), as your problem is quite common with a lot of measurement equipment which is not aware of the LUA mode of Vista/Win7/Win8 which limits admin rights to user level. Most of our programs have to be started as admin else you are not allowed to talk to devices.
Cheers
Sam

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
Well in Windows 7 I only have 1 user, and auto login on that one. So the whole computer should be running as admin. But I get message connected. But thanks for the tip, no loss in checking.

I have ordered two new spare controller cards, pluss new USB cable. One card I got as warranty. Then I have spare parts for everything...  ;) It is a good idea to have spare parts to avoid futher delays since spare parts from china are not delivered overnight...

If I get it to work I will make a write-up on replacement.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »

Now, could it be I have a wrong USB cable? Or is the controller broken?

If the plug fits it is the correct USB cable. The plug is different for the MP3 or External USB cables.

Try this

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/FAQ/questions.php?questionid=116

Gary
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:01:42 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Well in Windows 7 I only have 1 user, and auto login on that one. So the whole computer should be running as admin. But I get message connected. But thanks for the tip, no loss in checking.
Without saying anything you ar just a standard user (just with the right to say 'Yes now I want to be admin'). Do search the exe file (in my case Personalized Settings Uint1_1.exe) do a right mouse click on the exe file and say 'run as administrator'; THEN you are admin and are allowed to access IO components.

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 03:31:19 AM »
I will try your tip as soon as I am back from work in some days. Thanks.

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »
I have a windows 7 and a windows xp sp3 computer. Any difference in the two operating systems for the programmer device? What is best to use... I believe the usb driver install itself.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
I have used windows XP, windows vista and windows 7 and have had success with all. I have never noticed any difference which one you use. I gave not yet tried windows 8 but will in the near future.

Gary
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:52:15 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
Today I got my spare parts, before replacing the controller card I tried the new USB cable, and what do you know!

Good thing I ordered that cable also just to be sure  ;D

Old cable: Pins are square and so so...  :(

New cable: Japanese quality stuff  :D

The plug is tight to insert due to wide rubber collar, possibly because they want the plug to be slightly water proof. Could have been looser model for programming...

Repaired the old cable, my poor eyes!  :o Think I need a microscope and micro soldering iron  :P I think it had short circuit between two pins or something. Tested the old cable: It works  ;D Also easy to slip in because the molded collar is removed.

So, now I have two programming cables, and two controller cards. Nice to have some spare parts. Will also consider buying an extra set of cable, just in case  ::)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:46:51 PM by Marsbar »

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »
Where did you get order the new male connector from? The quality looks much better. I am thinking that I have a similar issue but with the cable for the controls that plugs into the female connector that comes from the controller.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:16:32 AM by pwd »

Offline Marsbar

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »
I got it from GM... bought a spare card also. Fast shipment this time from China delivered on the doorstep... so, finally got to program my motor. Put it on 16 and 16Ah. Not a rocket up hills, but hope this will save battery and also keep the police less suspicious  ;D Also the battery did not shut down as before on a test drive  :)