Author Topic: Magic pie wheels off center  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Lazyrider

• Confirmed
Magic pie wheels off center
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
Both the front and rear wheel are off center when I look down the forks they are close to the side the doesn't house the internal controller.

Is this normal? They tighten up nicely and don't move but I'm concerned with how close they come to the V brake mount on one side. I can't see any reason for it apart from the controller?

Offline Lazyrider

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie wheels off center
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Just stumbled onto Gary's article about this and how you can dish them to adjust and get the front closer to being centered. My bike mechanic friend doesn't like the idea but will try this out.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
Ideally, the rims should be centred, and I'm very puzzled as to why a "bike mechanic" doesn't like the idea of adjusting spokes to correctly centre a rim, as this is exactly how spoked bike wheels are supposed to be adjusted. ::)

I'm guessing that GM haven't assembled those wheels using a proper alignment jig, otherwise both rims should have been correctly centred.

Alan

Offline Lazyrider

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
It's not dishing that is the issue, as most bikes need to be slightly dished- but how much it needs to adjusted to center it on very heavy bike.

I think I'm just gonna keep riding it as is to keep the wheels integrity.