Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 sealing, cleaning, humming and dipping paint  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Magic Pie 3 sealing, cleaning, humming and dipping paint
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »
Hello community
my first MP3 was quite fast defective (rainwater poured into the casing after six weeks) and due to high shipping, insurance, time costs and toll declaration it was replaced with a new one.
The second one I received did rust on the wheel when received (and short afterwards exchanged by the EU dealer), but I tried this one: and it hummed quite loud compared to the first one even without a load.
Now I'd like to repair the first one: water was removed, dryed and opened for about 3 month now. As it was rain water the damage of the electronic maybe minimal. What distrubed me was the fact that the windings itself are not locked via some dipping paint, some humming is normal and corrosion is quite normal for the stator plates.
The place where the water came in was a dark cavity in the aluminium shell, which is now sealed (PU).
Question: is it adviseable to conceal the windings (and stator) and why did GM not manufacture it like that? The additional weight doesn't hurt and the protection & advantage is enormous.
I'd plan to use solid dipping paint like epoxy and hardened via 120°C afterwards (electronic removed) or via modern US9400 based on polyurethan

Cheers
Sam

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Magic Pie III sealing, cleaning, humming and dipping paint
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
Hi
no comment or is my question so special? Is there a way to reach GM Techs. My last four didn't reply and the Hong Kong Dealer (where I bought my first MP3).
Cheers
Sam

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
Yes I did some painting and the stator very useful no rust at all!

The only big problem is the big bearing axle side.
No matter how you seal it, water can still coming in, and the big bearing axle will be corroded.
And the big bearing is very expensive, at least if you want a good one.

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:36:06 AM »
Hello MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER
what kind of sealing/paint did you use? As my old MP3 is now completely cleaned (water poured in via cavities in the sidedisc).
Did the humming stop or just get more silent? Did you use hard coating (like PE) or soft (like PU)?
I'm quite astonished as in Germany all e-motors are dipped per default (costs only min on PE and safes lots of cash on the long run) even on the low budget sector. Now I have an expensive BLDC (it costs around 400EUR here in Germany) and a lot of small details doesn't fit the image. What do you think about it?
Cheers
Sam