Author Topic: HBS48R-1000W freewheel side question  (Read 9495 times)

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
HBS48R-1000W freewheel side question
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
Hello all!

I just purchased a bare HBS48R-1000W hub motor, which I laced into a Weinmann DH-39 wheel.  My question is, which side does the freewheel screw on to?  Do I put the 6 speed freewheel on the side with the wires coming out of the axle, or the non-wire side?

I emailed sales@goldenmotor with this question as well, but figured I would try the forums too.  Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: HBS48R-1000W freewheel side question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

On the HBS motors the wires exit on the left hand side where the brake disc screws on, so the freewheel screws onto the non-wired side of the axle.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:17:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the welcome and info!  Time to go unmount my tire, mount it the right direction, and put on my freewheel.  I had incorrectly assumed that they exited the freewheel side like the yescomusa hub motor kits do, but when I realized that I would have to take my hall connector apart to get the freewheel on, it gave me pause.  I am so glad I asked!

Thanks again!

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:47:43 AM »
I also got a response from GM as well via email:

------------------------------------------------------
Hey Michael, 
Thanks for your Email. This is Johnson from Golden Motor, and glad to service you.
The gears should be installed in the right side, other side of the wire.
Any other questions, kindly let me know.
Thanks & Regards,
Johnson
------------------------------------------------------

I just finished removing the CST Cyclops Pro and turned it around, time to put the freewheel on and remount on the bike.

Thanks fellas!

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
Okay, so I finally got everything wired up, and using a Lyen 12fet controller with the wires exiting the left side and the gears on the right, the motor spins backwards!

I tried flipping the yellow and green phase and halls but no effect :(

Other than just turning the tire around and moving the freewheel to the wire side, any ideas?

Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
Did you swap the yellow and green hall and phase wires at the same time, or one at a time? If you swapped just the hall wires or just phase wires it will not work properly.

However, if they were both swapped simultaneously, then the direction of rotation should have been reversed. ;)

Alan

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »
Did you swap the yellow and green hall and phase wires at the same time, or one at a time? If you swapped just the hall wires or just phase wires it will not work properly.

However, if they were both swapped simultaneously, then the direction of rotation should have been reversed. ;)

Alan

I did swap them simultaneously since when done alone the motor would just stutter.  But in both cases it only ran backwards???  I tried swapping the yellow/green, blue/green, and yellow/blue pairs and none of those combos spun the wheel forward.  For now I think I am just going to take the easy route and flip the wheel around.  And if the speed/power consumption/etc look ok, just run like that.

I know that is how the Yescom motors are set up, with the wires on the freewheel side...

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »
Okay, considering that I would have to go through a lot of machinations to swap things around, going to try and find the right hall/phase combo to get it running right as is...

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Okay, looks like the following combo worked:

Phases:

Blue - Blue
Yellow - Green
Green - Yellow

Halls:

Blue - Yellow
Green - Green
Yellow - Blue

I just went for a quick ride around the block and she runs like a champ, hit 47 MPH but did not want to push it more since I am still dialing in the brakes.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »

It's good to hear you've been able to figure it out, but what voltage battery pack are you using to achieve that sort of speed?

I just went for a quick ride around the block and she runs like a champ.

Reading that sentence just reminded me of an old control line model aircraft that I had back in the 70s, a KeilKraft Champ:

.... and I still have what's left of the DC Bantam glow motor that used to power it:

This poor old motor no longer works, as it's missing the needle valve assembly, spring quickstart mechanism, the fuel tank, and a considerable amount of compression too. ::)

I apologise for wandering so far off topic. :-[

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:16:47 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Maurtis

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »
LOL, no worries, I enjoy wandering!

I am running 24s 2p (10 AH) worth of lipo, so 89v nominal and 98v hot.  I know travelling at those speeds for very long will melt the motor, but I just had to try ;)  I plan on keeping the speed closer to 30 - 35 MPH on most trips, if not less.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 12:46:37 AM »
47 MPH!!!!

I hope you have a full helmet, not just a biking hat.

TTFN,
Dennis