Author Topic: I want something this on my next motor please.  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I want something this on my next motor please.
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
Its based on the leaf spring and you could make one based on the leaf spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBqPPQxhGsI

But like archery  bows return energy stored in the draw flex the return is not 100%.

Some means to restrict any rotational direction flexing during acceleration would be best for motor efficiency, , to keep the direct drive feel to the throttle is nice.

Using shockies puts the weight up, but anything that limit the weight thrown around by the terrain, maybe some leaf spring design can check all boxes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:36:48 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: I want something this on my next motor please.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »
Hi Les,

That is really clever!  At first I thought it would be rather lossy, because you would be working to continuously deform the springs as it rotated, but most of that energy would be returned by the spring resuming its original shape. Selection of fiber orientation and epoxy modulus could be used to match the wheel to a specific application, by changing deflection rates and rebound/dampening.  I'm surprised the spring section seems bolted to the rim, rather than bonded and I did notice that in the rolling road scene the wheel was not running true,  but that is tuneup.  I wonder how stiff the wheel is about the rotation axis, to resist side loads?  I guess I need to get out my carbon fiber and epoxy and play around.  :)

Thanks for sharing the link,

TTFN,
Dennis