Author Topic: Motor stopped free spin after tire change  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Cowboy

• Confirmed
Motor stopped free spin after tire change
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
I own an electric scooter (which I love) that had flat rear tire. I removed tire and took to dealer where I bought it three months earlier (used).  He had lot of trouble changing tube so he had to replace with new tube at least three times. Ultimately he also replaced tire. When I picked up wheel after three weeks of his work, it no longer spun on its axel. I hear no loose items inside but something must have happened. He claims they did nothing but change tire so they are not responsible for motor. Can rough handling or dropping cause this? He said he would look inside of motor although he has never opened one before. Any guidance or suggestions?

Cowboy

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Motor stopped free spin after tire change
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »

Howdy Cowboy andto the forum. ;)

Are we talking about a GM motor in your scooter, and if so, which motor is it?

If it is a brushless motor with an external speed controller, it may be possible to damage the phase wires coming from the axle which could allow them to short together, making the wheel very difficult to turn.

Is the motor very stiff to turn, but only turns very slowly, or is it locked up solid and will not turn at all?

If someone has completely submerged the wheel in a container full of water while trying to locate the puncture, the water could have found its way into the bearings causing them to seize up within a three week time period.

If one end of the axle had been placed in a vice and sufficient leverage applied to the rim by incorrectly forcing the tyre off, it might be possible to bend the axle enough to allow the stator to touch against the magnets inside the hub.

Unfortunately, without a bit more information, it's impossible to say what has actually happened to the wheel.

It might be a good idea to let someone else who is unbiased (not the guy who repaired the puncture) take look at the motor to try and ascertain where the problem lies and also what may have caused it. ::)

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Motor stopped free spin after tire change
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
Three weeks to change a flat, I would stay away from that guy and just be happy he only got his hands on the wheel.

Gary