Author Topic: MP II not working - wiring or throttle problems_please help  (Read 4939 times)

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
MP II not working - wiring or throttle problems_please help
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Dear all,

so long story short, my MP II, with internal controller, 48V 12ah battery is not working.
Last time it had worked properly was about 5 months ago (we had a long winter). Bike was stored in my apartment in dry and warm place.

- I have charged battery (it did not discharged much).

- All three lights on throttle light up, but MP II does not work.

- I have checked all of the wiring.

- Furthermore, thanks to Alan, and this post http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2359.msg13066#msg13066 I have check that the   
  motor side of my throttle wiring is working correctly, and it does! (once I connect a small piece of wire inserted between pins no 4 and 6 on the 
  motor socket motor runs at full speed).

So, where should I go from there? How to chech is throttle working properly?

Thanks. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:06:03 PM by jbzg »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP II not working - wiring or throttle problems_please help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »

Jan, to check the operation of the throttle you will need to use a voltmeter, and ideally the wheel should be raised off the ground and the bike secured in case the wheel suddenly starts at full speed during the testing!

There should be three wires coming from the throttle which are connected to the main harness through the Black three pin connector shown here:

First check if there is ~5V between the Red and Black wires on the Black throttle connector.

If the voltage reading is correct, check the voltage between the Black and White wires which should vary between 0.8V and 4.25 when the throttle is operated. If this voltage does not vary with the throttle movement it is probably a faulty hall sensor or a broken wire on the throttle unit.

If you do not have ~5V between the Red and Black throttle wires, try connecting the Black voltmeter probe to the battery negative connection and then check the voltages at the Black lead on the throttle connector using the Red probe.  If you obtain a reading or more than 0.3V on the black wire, it is more than likely to be a poor connection somewhere along the black wire that connects to each of the connectors in series. Carefully check the security of the wires in each of the crimped connections by gently pulling them to see if a loose crimped connection can be found.

Please let us know what you find.

Alan

Offline Quiro

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
I have a MPII internal controller and I have experienced the same problems. The solution was change all the signal cable. However after some month I got again the same problem and I find out if I twist a bit the cable in the place where is connector all will work again.

You should check in this way....

good luck

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
Alan,

thanks for the suggestion, I will try to do this over weekend.

Can you please tell me one more thing. According to your diagram, if you connect red and white wire motor should run at full spead? I am asking this because I am pretty sure that my throttle is actually ok, but one of the wires is cut somewhere.

Best,
Jan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:23:29 AM »

Yes, connecting the Red and White wires on the throttle connector should give full throttle.

If the wires have been strained too much on the throttle assembly, it's possible that they could have become either disconnected inside the unit, or possibly even broken somewhere within the cable itself.

Alan

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »
I think I found where the problem is, on the 8 pin connector, one of the male pins is broken, the throttle one! I always took care while connecting, however, it got broken...

I don't have any spare money now, so I will cut the connectors, and just connect wires. Hopefully that will fix problems.

I will keep you posted..

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
Before I cut main eight pin connectors, I would like to ask you guys on opinion about this. Would you do this (if 8 pin connector is broken) or would you order a new one?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »

If a pin in the main harness plug is broken it would be better to replace the 8 Pin Mini DIN Plug rather than destroy the wiring on the motor as well, but you will need a soldering iron with a small tip, a steady pair of hands and good eyesight to fit the new connector. ;)

Cutting both of the connectors off and permanently joining the wires would also make it a lot more difficult to remove the wheel for repairing punctures etc.

Alan

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
Alan,

I will proceed as you recommended. I hope will be able to connect this 8 pin din connector to the thin wires. As I understand, yellow wire is not in use, so I will not bother about this one. Do you use other pins provided by GM? Wires from throttle are way to long, so I was thinking about cutting it shorter and connecting it directly to 8 pin connector.

Jan

Offline jbzg

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »
Just a update,

today I was trying to connect male mini din connector, and it was a hell of a job! I succeeded, however, it was poorly done, and I am afraid some of the wires will make a s/c... I will not ride a bike like this, it is dangerous for me and for a MP... So I will try to buy a new bigger male-female connector suitable for connecting all of the wires...

Thanks for help once more...

Best,
Jan

Offline Phil O Dendron

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »
Jan,

don`t give up, it's an easier job when you buy an 8-pin mini-din cable.

Cut in half, solder the wires, use a shrink tube for isolation. Have one connector as spare  ;)

Cheers, phil.