Author Topic: Magic pie and HBS motor take on the largest flood waters in Australian history.  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
We just had the largest flood in history.  I quote an Australian defense force soldier, who was in the rescue response team, "Ive been to Afghanistan, and Iraq, but the damage done by this flood is something new"

Both my golden motors are solar charged and powered through mud, storms with rain so hard that it was almost cutting my face, they operated totally submerged at times and continued to operate and help me through the toughest times that the weather could throw at it..  I must of rode 50 metres through the water with the motors totally submerged at times, before I decided to turn back and try a different route home.

I can provide some pictures of the floods. 

I don't seal my motors air tight, I just restrict water getting in as much as possible and never allow them to stop running when submerged and they seem to work fine in flood waters. 

Bring it on

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Les,

Glad to hear you are OK.  I'm stunned at the amount of water that has fallen on your NorthEast coast.   I'm also stunned that the MP 3 is running well when drowned!  Are you using an external controller that stayed dry?

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Dennis.  Im in Nth Bundaberg.  Yes I run an external controller.  At about 30 amps, the motor has enough power when running through deeper water to create an air-gap between the axle and water.  This only helped.  I havent looked inside yet as I still need the bike toghether and running to do my stuff.  I get the feeling any moisture will boil off as I use it, and it should vent out because the motor isnt air tight. 

After years of experience, I've noticed as soon as I seal a motor airtight, thats when water gets in and builds up, whether it is raining or not, it is due to humidity.

Im going to check inside tonight if I am well enough.  We got a little ill.  Maybe from the contaminated water when we were in the evacuation centre.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:56:43 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I sense a hidden Monkey is logged in.

Here is the waste.  We didn't lose anything thank god but this time we got off by the hair of our chiney-chin-chin.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
This pic is me showing off a 6 days ago, what the HBS can do after the storm, the flood water kept rising 2 metres after this was taken. My daughter kept goofing with the digital camera, its hard to tak4e moving objects because it takes its time, so I had to slow down for the shot which I didnt like much the thought of. This is by no means what I am talking about facing the storm.  The flood water is all gone now. 

The day 6 tornado's hit I was riding home copping the side spray. I would lean into the wind it and it would just give in, making me swerve off into the traffic lane.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:25:31 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
But the Pie went completely submerged for quiet some distance.  The power of the motor was good enough to throw the water away from the axles.  I got stopped by one route home, so I tried to take it on.  I got at lest 50 meters into the flooded road and chickened out and turned around.  My left thong got stuck in the mud as I tried a submerged U turn, and I stop there for a second and there was me, stuck in 3 feet of water. I FULL THROTTLED IT and wosh wosh wosh the pie started again to throw off the water like a beast, it was chopping at it like a steam boat.

I kept going, waiting for some smoke, or a sign of a hickup, but na! wosh wosh chop chop she gots me out.

I raced around to another route, the water was only 5cm deep in some places and I got pelted by some tornado powered rain.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
OMG Leslie!

Nice to hear from you but the news you bring is nasty! How's the house, did it get flooded? How are the kids taking it. I hope this isn't freaking hem out too much. Glad you survived your deep water ride. Situations like that have caused many people to be swept away with bad results. Please stay away from rushing flood waters!

I wish you and your family the best during these rough times!

Gary

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Woowww sounds very impressed!

Have you open the motor how it looks now?

I have the Magic Pie 3, due the costs I have made.
I have decided to go on with motor.
After big major of mods, the motor is still running.

Running hours of the motor is > 2000 km within a month.
Yes I made 73 km every day....