Author Topic: Basic electrical question 12V and fuses  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Deville

• Confirmed
Basic electrical question 12V and fuses
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »
Hi guys,

So I had a small 12v automotive led light kicking around, it had a lighter plug on it and was intended to be a retractable emergency light for cars. It's small, and bright enough to be used as a bike light with a few mods.

So now it's attached to my bike, I painted it all black and it looks pretty good. I wired it up to an 8s AA battery pack giving me the 12 volts to power it nicely and the pack fits perfect into a small bag I have attached to the frame.

I put an on / off switch but I don't know what kind / size of fuse I need? I hooked the light up to my multimeter and the light draws .050 amps / .50 miliamps at 12volts I think? I tested it the other day and cant remember the exact numbers.

What size fuse do I need, and should it be placed between battery and on / off switch or between the light and off / on switch?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:13:09 AM by Deville »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Basic electrical question 12V and fuses
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:12:42 PM »
As you're only using AA batteries, a fuse is not quite as important as it would be if you were running 48V LED lights directly off your main 48V battery.

If your AA battery pack was shorted out, it would probably just flatten the batteries without causing any other problems, but shorting out the lighting wiring on a 48V 10Ah battery pack would be a different story. :o

I personally wouldn't bother using a fuse with AA cells, but if you are going to fit a fuse it is always best to put it as close to the battery as possible, to protect against a short circuit in the wiring, and at the switch itself.

50mA (0.05 Amp) sounds about right for a low power LED light, A 100mA fuse will be large enough to protect the wiring.

If  the light is actually drawing 500 mA (0.5 Amp) you would need a 1 Amp fuse instead, and depending on which AA batteries you are using it still might not even blow with a direct short, unless you're using lithium or NiMH cells.

If you don't ride the bike without your main battery pack it would save you some money in batteries if you fitted a 12V output DC-DC converter to power your LED light from your main battery pack.

Alan

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:43:27 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Deville

• Confirmed
Re: Basic electrical question 12V and fuses
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure what would happen if it shorted and my biggest fear would be if they caught on fire since the pack sits right under my seat. I'll probably order one of those dc to dc converters. Thanks.