Author Topic: Magic Pie Programming  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Powertothee

• Confirmed
Magic Pie Programming
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »
Hi All,

I've been having some difficlties in programming the MPII and would love feedback and guidance to figure out what I'm not doing correctly.  Currently, I have two MP2 motors that I've programmed with similar results.  In trying to increase the Regen brake grabbing force, both motors beeps twice (meaning hall sensor faillure).  The motors now shakes from stop but runs fine after the wheel gets going(also hall sensor failure symptom).  Is it possible to fry the hall sensors by programming?

After connection and getting the existing config, the following information is shown:

Continuous 30A
Peak 50A
Motor Type BLDC (brushless)
Phase 60ia
PAS High
Direction REV (Why is it always reverse anyways?)
Motor Voltage 48V
FWD Speedscale 100%
REV Enable
Mode Immed
Speed Scale 100%
Regen Brake 100%

Can someone please help?  Thank you!

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Magic Pie Programming
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:16:32 PM »
  Powertothee , The Phase should be 120 I think . I would think that this could cause the vibration since the phase wires are at 120 degrees in the motor . I wish that I could get my motor to run in reverse so I could us the front disk brake , but that is another story . Reset the phase to 120 and see if that doesn't fix your problem . Rod

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »
Hi Rod,

If you swap two phase and their associated hall sensor wiring sequences, your motor will run in the other direction.  Of course, you may or may not be not be able to access the wiring easily, depending on your installation.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline dallasdick

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »
Based on the config you are describing I see some items that are probably in need of tweaking.  First of all why do you have reverse enabled at all?  Unless you have a three or four wheel vehicle, reverse is useless.  Second, your phasing should be 120, not 60. and third, it is probably not wise to run 100% regen lest you back feed too much current into the battery while braking.  If you pulse stop your bike and not hold the brake on continuously you might be able to run at 75% but you'll need to paly around with that.  Programming cannot fry your hall sensors, only token voltage (+5V) can be supplied by the USB to change the internal settings.  Hope this helps.

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
 Powertothee ,   I did not mean to get my reverse problem in the middle of you programing question . But to answer Morgan E man, AKA Dennis . I did reverse the phase and hall sensors and it did not cause the motor to run in reverse , It ran in the same direction but slower . I  think  that the color coding to the phase and halls or as I call it the firing order of the hall sensors as mixed up . My MPII has an internal controller and the day that I tried to reverse the motor I had the cover off and on three times that day , once to reverse the phase and halls , the second time to put the phase wires back in order and left the halls reversed (  the motor did not work at all this way ) and the third time was to put everything back the way it was . The motor runs as it did before  . Something I learned working at Bellsouth Telephone Company for 33 years ,( If it ain't broke don't fix it ) . It would be nice if GM could tell us the order of the halls on the controller not just the color code .I may end up buying another Wheel if I could be guaranteed that it would run in reverse . Rod

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »
The problem is that damn MP2 you have has an internal controller. I think its the only motor GM has that cant be easily reversed. I know all the talk of revesing pahase and hall wires but I have never tried it. If you had the external MP2 you could do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEUtBnBCDY

Of course that means a whole new motor or converting the one you have to external. But this would resolve your issue and it would be a neater setup. You would only have one cable running down the fork to the motor. Not like mine with the full wire harness zipped to the forks.

Gary

Whooops I too feel I am hijacking your thread now. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:01:00 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
Hi All,

I've been having some difficlties in programming the MPII and would love feedback and guidance to figure out what I'm not doing correctly.  Currently, I have two MP2 motors that I've programmed with similar results.  In trying to increase the Regen brake grabbing force, both motors beeps twice (meaning hall sensor faillure).  The motors now shakes from stop but runs fine after the wheel gets going(also hall sensor failure symptom).  Is it possible to fry the hall sensors by programming?

After connection and getting the existing config, the following information is shown:

Continuous 30A
Peak 50A
Motor Type BLDC (brushless)
Phase 60ia
PAS High
Direction REV (Why is it always reverse anyways?)
Motor Voltage 48V
FWD Speedscale 100%
REV Enable
Mode Immed
Speed Scale 100%
Regen Brake 100%

Can someone please help?  Thank you!

As Rod Pointed out the phase should be 120. The rest are fine.

Gary

Offline Powertothee

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the replies.

Reprogramming the phase to 120 gets rid of the two beep that indicates hll sensor failure.  However, the motor shudders at start (sensorless mode?), acceleration drops significantly, and the regen braking becomes sporatic.

Both motors ending up the same way simply can't be coincidental!

Offline tim...nz

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:39:27 AM »
Did you resolve this issue? Or is the solution posted elsewhere? I have the same issue of shuddering on initial acceleration and low power. There's also a frequent but sporadic clunking from the motor when riding at around 10-20 km/h. I'll get the current parameters and start a new post if this hasn't been resolved.