Author Topic: Hills and Powered Walking...???  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Rollerbyke

• Confirmed
Hills and Powered Walking...???
« on: September 16, 2012, 01:01:13 AM »
I am wondering, if anyone has ever had opportunity, to walk their bike up a hill, while power assisted by the motor...

The question is... will the motor function at a very low walking speed up hill... when the only load on the bike is the bike itself ?

Thanks...

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Hills and Powered Walking...???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »
Interesting question. :)

I had to do that once. The trail had been groomed with deep fresh sand and I found myself walking my recumbent up the fairly steep grassy hill alongside the trail. You can do it, but...

First I have to add the caveat that this was not done with a GM controller. I'm presuming that the specs, such as throttle position analog to digital resolution, are the same as the controller I'm running. The reason this matters is because the higher input resolution gives smoother (finer actually) control. As far as I know, and I've never put a meter to one except to confirm a live input signal, all Hall Effect throttle position sensors return about the same voltage range.

The next variable is the throttle rotation angle. The shorter the throw, the steeper the input signal rise angle. This matters when your hand twitches on the throttle (a small bump) and the bike wants to launch itself from your grip. Mine almost got away on me twice. I asked for the long throw twist-grip when I ordered, but I haven't measured the angle.

Some controllers have a 3 speed range option available. Worth the added expense in my book (like $20 plus the three position switch). It has just occurred to me to set my lowest range to walking speed for just such occasions. Be aware though, if you intend to go for long walks with your electric bike (and how romantic is that?), that motor efficiency sux in the very low rpm range.

So, the motor is capable of being led along like a sheep. Or a wolf with a hair trigger and the strength of 10 grown men (Let's presume 150W per man. Okay, 9.6 men then).

Success might all depend on your coffee intake quota that day. ;)
Jeff
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:56:12 AM by truly_bent »
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
Maybe this thread will interest you: Walking speed button

Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »
Excellent reference lollandster (you'll have to translate that handle for me some day).
Thanks,
J
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
Excellent reference lollandster (you'll have to translate that handle for me some day).
Thanks,
J
It's untranslatable. It's a variation of my surname google proposed when creating an account. I use it because I can always be sure it's not already taken. You may google it to find everything I have done on the internet...

edit: spell checked.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:11:34 PM by lollandster »
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline Kirk

• Confirmed
  • Its not bragging, if you can do it.
    • Cape Foulweather
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
Yer question should be, how to resolve the problem of your bike making you walk. Get something like one of these http://catrike.com rinse, repeat.

I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT, YOUR EGO, COUNTY  WIDE POWER OUTAGES, BLOWN PARTS, SPONTANEOUSLY GENERATED MINI (OR LARGER) BLACK HOLES, PLANETARY DISRUPTIONS, OR PERSONAL  INJURY THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF ANYTHING I FIX OR SAY.