Author Topic: Thumb Trottles - different versions?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Terry

• Confirmed
Thumb Trottles - different versions?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
Hi,,
I am just working on assembling my first e-bike. I bought a MP 3 upgrade kit from a dealer in Europe.  I bought the kit with org. GM 48V battery. 

I am little bit confused about the thumb throttle. When I look at goldenmotors.ca web pages, I can see there is multiple version of the thumb throttle. There is one for 24, 36 and 48V..  Will my throttle work with the battery I bought?

/terry
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:54:18 AM by Terry »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Thumb Throttles - different versions?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
Hi Terry,

Your throttle will work fine, but the battery gauge LEDs will not function correctly if the voltage does not match the battery.

I have a 36V throttle (24V and 48V are usually marked on the throttle housing but the 36V has no markings) and I only use 25.9V or 51.8V LiPo packs with it. ::)
On the 25.9V pack I just have the single red LED illuminated, and on the 51.8V pack I have all three LEDs illuminated, regardless of whether the pack is fully charged or almost completely exhausted.

The throttle control does get a bit warm on the 51.8V pack but it has survived over two years so far, but I'm not sure whether the battery gauge on a 24V throttle would have lasted this long on a 51.8V pack.

Even when the correct voltage throttle unit is used, the battery gauge, which was initially intended for use with lead acid batteries, is somewhat inaccurate with lithium battery packs.
I therefore use a Turnigy Watt Meter to measure the actual energy being consumed, and I simply subtract the Ah used from the battery's Ah rating to give a pretty good indication of how much capacity I still have left.

Alan

Offline Terry

• Confirmed
Re: Thumb Trottles - different versions?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
Hi,,
Interesting.. I'am not very concerned about the LED lights really. I used to have a "old" e-bike before. That used to have LEDs indicators but it was not very accurate. The old e-bike was an brushless, 250W, 36V bike - nothing very exited. However my wife wanted it for work,, so that gave my an excuse to build my own  :D

/terry