Author Topic: pedelec legalisation device on Magic Pie internal controller  (Read 5859 times)

dstrom

pedelec legalisation device on Magic Pie internal controller
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
Anyone used this on a Magic Pie internal controller
http://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/electronics/pedelec-legalisation-device.html ?

I would like some help on the wiring :-)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: pedelec legalisation device on Magic Pie internal controller
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »
That looks far more complicated than the simple pedelec device we carry. It looks like the same outcome as well. As long as you’re pedaling the motor accelerates at full speed. Then when you stop pedaling the motor stops.

I suspect this method was great when the motors were 250 watts and they freewheeled. Then when you peddle the motor kicks in and helps you out. When you stop pedaling the motors cuts and you freewheel with no drag. I am sure this works well.

But with the larger direct drive motors, every time you peddle the motor takes off rapidly at full throttle. The longer you peddle the faster you go. Until you stop pedaling and then the motor cuts out and you get the drag of the direct drive motor. Not a great system but it may get you past regulations.

It would be great if you pedaled and then you could use the throttle to adjust speed but unfortunately that’s not how it works.

A true pedelec system reacts to how hard you push on the pedals to determine how much throttle you get. Neither ours, or the one in the link will perform like that.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:40 AM »
EU ledgislation in general is why the EU is failing to do good business with the rest of the world..   Too much red tape and agressive marketing of over regulation.

Enjoy the EU crash.

Besides.  Iwant a bike that the throttle obeys my hand not one that obeys my feet.  The stupidest idea in the century and is extremely unsafe IMO.

Pedals work efficiently.  Check.

Motor works and responds to hand or thumb throttle.  Check.

Brakes and brake switches installed, Check.

Wattage, voltage, and battery chemistry and blow fuse within specs, check.

Bike structure adequate for bike speed and motor power..  Check.

No one needs more.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:52:02 AM »

OMG WTF is that?

Is that shotty glue up EU CE?  Is the hall at the correct angle?   Is the paint going to allow the glue enough adhesion to be reliable..  You may need to add another hydrogen atom to the mix and regulate that in triplicate too.. 

You better run off now and make another 100 regulations for all this. 

Mean time this is design is worthless to me.

Have fun now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:56:36 AM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:53:17 AM »
1000's of people die in motors vehicles every year.  Do cars have such ridiculous standards?  How about the EU concetrate on limiting motor vehicle speed and power limits in cities and urban areas with an infra red transmitter on speed signs.  I would of thought this would come first as there is an actuall mandate to save children and fluffy puppies lives already.

One 6kph assist before pedelic required.  OMG.

up to 25kph motor assist with pedelic. 

With battery and motor weight we'd have old grannies and kids on tricycles flying past our ebikes. 

Total drunkards would be able to run my wife dowm hopping on one foot backwards and rape her before she could get off the mark, she would be safer on a normal bike and I would rather risk reverse engineering this by pulsing the sensor with a two dolar xtremedeal musical piggy toy and diode, powered off the throttle feeds...  Or just simply pathing the PWM signal to the sensor.

People will not see the point in owning an ebike at all.  Way to destroy an industry before it even starts... 

Say no to pedelec and join your brethern greek anti-EU-Nazi protests. 

Death to the Euro and EU union.

Bring it on

dstrom

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »

Thank you for the feedback, I understand it was not a good option. :)

Is there any controller that would give me the "true" pedelec solution you describe?

That looks far more complicated than the simple pedelec device we carry. It looks like the same outcome as well. As long as you’re pedaling the motor accelerates at full speed. Then when you stop pedaling the motor stops.

I suspect this method was great when the motors were 250 watts and they freewheeled. Then when you peddle the motor kicks in and helps you out. When you stop pedaling the motors cuts and you freewheel with no drag. I am sure this works well.

But with the larger direct drive motors, every time you peddle the motor takes off rapidly at full throttle. The longer you peddle the faster you go. Until you stop pedaling and then the motor cuts
out and you get the drag of the direct drive motor. Not a great system but it may get you past regulations.

It would be great if you pedaled and then you could use the throttle to adjust speed but unfortunately that’s not how it works.

A true pedelec system reacts to how hard you push on the pedals to determine how much throttle you get. Neither ours, or the one in the link will perform like that.

Gary

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:15 AM »
I think it depends on what the pedelec is trying to do.

By making you pedal to move you prevent a runaway bike.

A more complicated torque to power system may be cool, but it is not any safer.

I don't use a pedelec, but my bike has spun out accidentally with nobody in the saddle.

I always warn guest riders about it.