Author Topic: Can you use the Bionx g2 console with a Magic Pie  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
Can you use the Bionx g2 console with a Magic Pie
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:47:32 AM »
Hi I all I'm new here, sorry Gary I don't mean to hop in to add new topic but I have no option to post new topic on the top corner tab. I called you about this topic today, hope more people on the forum can help me out. I have search the forum and saw no topic on this one. Have anyone try to use the bionx g2 console with Magic Pie? If yes plz post a diagram on have to connect the wire. If there is better looking console that work with Magic Pie, I like to know about that too and how the wiring is done. I just don't like the look of gm console, and it's just not enough tech for me. Maybe master Monkey can help me on this topic? ???

-----------The BionX G2 Console

Easy to use and easy to read, the BionX console lets you take control of your ride with responsive controls and accurate, timely information. It features a multifunctional meter similar to a bike computer, displaying your speed, remaining battery charge and your level of assistance or regeneration. With an LCD screen, you’ll be able to view your stats day or night, rain or shine. Every BionX console is even equipped with an antitheft alarm to protect your bike.
bionx console------------------------

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can you use the Bionx g2 console with a Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »

Hi Nightwind andto the forum.

I have no option to post new topic on the top corner tab.

There is a good reason why New Members cannot post New Topics, the explanation can be seen here:
New Topics started by New or Unconfirmed Members
Due to the excessive amount of Spam being posted on the Forum, New or "Unconfirmed" Members are currently prevented from starting New Topics.
If you're a New or "Unconfirmed" Member, you can post your new subjects here by using the REPLY tab.

Now, getting back to your question, I would think it highly unlikely that a Bionx console would be able to work correctly with the Magic Pie's controller, although it could be possible to get some of its more basic functions (like the battery level gauge) to work, but without knowing where it picks up its current and speed data from, it's difficult to say how many of the functions would still be available.

If it uses a separate reed switch to provide the speed impulses, then the speed and distance functions should work correctly, but if it uses a signal from the phase windings it would need to be re-calibrated to allow for the higher pulses per revolution that the Magic Pie would produce.

There is no function on the Pie's controller to vary the level of assistance or regen during use, but this can be set by using the USB programming interface cable and computer software.

The Cycle Analyst that Gary sells is not a GM product, but it can be wired into the Pie's speed controller to override the throttle control, which can therefore regulate the power output and maximum speed of the Magic Pie's motor.

Although the Cycle Analyst may not be the best looking display available, it certainly does have a lot of very good and useful features.

Alan

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
Thanks for the help. I guess I have to try solve this by getting a Magic Pie 3 and see how the controller is reading/sending signal. I wish GM would make a console something like g2 or better.  :-\

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:51 AM »
Hi I all I'm new here, sorry Gary I don't mean to hop in to add new topic but I have no option to post new topic on the top corner tab. I called you about this topic today,

Please don't apologize for posting in the forum. We all welcome any post. I recall this conversation. I was driving and you were asking me how to hook the G2 console to the Magic Pie. As Curly used to say " I was trying to think but nothing was happening". So I sent you here. The console looks great and I can understand why you like it, but I think it will be an expensive experiment. Do you already have this console or are you looking for one? Is it possible to find any info on how it is wired up?

Gary
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:55:23 AM by spellchecker »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
Hey I'll have to look into that Bionx more it looks nifty! Blue back-light? :D

If the unit is programmable to some degree it will be possible to hook this up to a hall sensor from the GM controller, GND, probably throttle and power in parallel with the unit, very similar to the CA but I would say the CA is much easier to read in day or night condition in comparison.

The Bionx unless you can adjust the contrast will be hard to read, its the same as the motorcycle digital speedo I use that I am yet to get to function lol but it is difficult to read in sunny daylight

Anyways, I have a couple of e-Bike (scooter type) speedometers that accept a hall sensor, ground and lighting power. It has a pot on the rear to adjust the speed depending on the size wheel you are using. Analog speedo though... And chunky lol.... I too have been looking for something spiffy like this one!

As the speed signal (pulses) will vary between different wheel types/manufacturers is why I would expect this to be programmable to that extent. As for the PAS I'm not sure but it could be as simple as a signal wire and (hopefully) a setting on the unit.

If you have the internal MP (and are happy with your settings to last a long time!) then you could use the Yellow wire used for PC connectivity to send out your hall sensor signal. If you have the external controller then that just makes it easier...

Maybe if you can get a wiring diagram for the Bionx would be good to have a looksy

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
Thanks Gary and Monkey I'll research in the wireing of the g2 and update on that. Yea the console do look awesome.  ;D
I planing to buy one for it only cost $10 more then the one Gary sale. $155 I think.

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
Well the only info I got is on the old console and here the hack for it

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=896

this one the guide text is readable but the rest is in german.

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/showthread.php?47-BionX-Erfahrungen-BionX-Codes

I'm not sure if the new one work in the same way.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:54:08 PM by Nightwind »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
Ok my heads spinning now, you guys enjoy yourself :)

Gary

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 02:31:42 AM »
Well I guess I'll have to wait for the MP3 and buy this g2 to test it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33uCs_awBJk&feature=player_embedded

Is the MP controller PAS stand for pedal assistance system and can the regenerative braking lv can be adjusted on the fly? If yea the this console will be fully functional, if not a big deal. But going to need the MP3, Gary, before I can do this experiment.  :P