Author Topic: Torque Arm Fix  (Read 5973 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Torque Arm Fix
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:14:38 AM »
Since I built my Tandem Ebike....

I have had one thing lingering in the back of my mind. On one side the axle sits nice and tight into the back of the drop out. The other side on sits halfway back. Not sure why it is like this but it is how its designed. Excuse the lack of oil. Its been a little wet..

This has never moved in the dropout but certainly seems like a weak spot. First I secure the good side with a torque arm. These are actually designed for the front forks but I have used them on the back before. After playing around I find there are two orientations to choose from. The first one won't work.

This way should work fine.

There that was the easy side to fix.

Now let's look at the other side again.

Add two GM washers and a torque arm.

After orienting the rest of the torque arm it looks like it will keep it from rocking but there is nothing to keep it from sliding farther up the drop out.

So I took it apart and made this. I had to bolt it together like this before putting it on otherwise I could not tighten it properly.

It took a few tries but I got it just right. The arm is now secured at two spots. At the top to stop twisting and at the base to prevent it from sliding in the dropout.

The hose clamps are still loose in this picture. Everything is snug and solid now! So it took two torque arm sets to do this side as I needed the extra piece. But I like the end result and am very confident it will never move ;)

Gary

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:30:17 AM by spellchecker »