Author Topic: Knocking Sound!!!  (Read 5329 times)

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
Knocking Sound!!!
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »
I'm hearing a knocking sound coming from the motor in the area where the (disc brake) would go!

Can anyone explain to me what this sound might mean?

My spokes are not loose.

I only hear the knocking when I'm sitting on the bike whether I'm pedaling or not pedaling
It seems that every few repetitions, it knocks once.

Please tell me this isn't bad...

I don't even have my battery yet!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:49:45 AM by spellchecker »

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
Can Somebody Please Answer ME!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
no one is answering my Post ABOUT KNOCKING SOUNDS... I need answers really quick..

PLEASE HELP!!!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Knocking Sound!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »

It's difficult to tell what might be causing the knocking sound without actually hearing it.

The only moving part in that area is the wheel bearing itself, but I wouldn't expect it to make a knocking noise like the one you have described.

The only other thing I can suggest is to check the tightness of the Allen bolts that hold the side cover in place, just in case the cover is moving slightly and making the noise.

If you can upload a short video to YouTube and then post a link here, it might be easier for us to diagnose the noise once we can hear it. ;)

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:49:04 PM »
Since you describe peddling and not peddling, I assume it's a rear wheel. Perhaps try removing the freewheel and see if it still makes the sound.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:02:03 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Kirk

• Confirmed
  • Its not bragging, if you can do it.
    • Cape Foulweather
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
I know you're saying the knocking is coming from the disc side of the wheel but sound can travel in weird ways. Check your gear cluster for bent or broken teeth. Its a long shot but stranger things have happened.

Kirk
Volt up, Gear down.
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT, YOUR EGO, COUNTY  WIDE POWER OUTAGES, BLOWN PARTS, SPONTANEOUSLY GENERATED MINI (OR LARGER) BLACK HOLES, PLANETARY DISRUPTIONS, OR PERSONAL  INJURY THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF ANYTHING I FIX OR SAY.