Author Topic: MP2 spokes loosing  (Read 3272 times)

Offline FalconX

• Confirmed
MP2 spokes loosing
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »
Hi all,

I have installed several MPs and after some time all of them return with the spokes loose. I tried several methods to secure them after the first loose like Loctite 242 blue (loose again after ~90 kms riding), Loctite 222 pink (loose again after ~200 kms riding) and even instant Super Glue which lasted longer than the previous methods but also failed.

It is a waste of time for somebody to spend so much time to remake the wheel and secure the spokes. I don't know if the problem is my country's road condition or the riders misuse or Gm's general manufacture issues but for sure this shouldn't happen.

Any suggestions? Have you met such issue?

FalconX

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP2 spokes loosening
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
Hi Chris,

When you say that the spokes are loose, are you suggesting that the nipples with Loctite applied have actually come undone, or could it perhaps be that the spokes have simply become loose because they have stretched slightly?

It's possible that the spokes might not be nice and snug against the side of the flange, in which case there is a good chance that the right-angle bend in the spoke will gradually increase with use, allowing the spokes to effectively lengthen and eventually become loose.

On my MK1 Pie, I had to fit two 0.55mm thick washers under the heads of all the spokes to ensure they were held tightly against the flange:

I had no problems with loose spokes for well over 12 months, but a few weeks after I increased the controller's output from 20 to 60Amps, I had to re-tighten several of the spokes.

Surprisingly enough, I haven't had to touch them since, which is pretty good considering that I regularly transmit up to 4HP through them and also do a fair bit of riding across bumpy fields and on little used country lanes which are full of pot holes! ;D

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:45:52 PM by Bikemad »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: MP2 spokes loosing
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:19 PM »
Generally when this happens, nearly all your spokes are a little too loose, with the wheel going slightly egg shaped as you cycle...

Best bet is to see a bike shop to get it properly setup, or check my wheel thread for a home made way
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=3187.0
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute