Author Topic: Lithium battery pack 36v/12Ah  (Read 8411 times)

Offline Easy Roller

• Confirmed
Lithium battery pack 36v/12Ah
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:21:41 AM »
This was a brand new battery that I discharged to long [while riding 36 Volt 500 Watt LifePO4 Conversion Kit with Lithium battery pack 36v/12Ah ]  wasn't able to recharge it right away and now I can't recharge it . The charger light goes to green within a few seconds. Is it possible to buy a BMS for this battery pack? Or is it some kind of fuse? Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Lithium battery pack 36v/12Ah
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:38:56 AM »
Hi easy roller,

The BMS might be switching off due to 1 or more of your cell groups below the charging threshold voltage.

In this case, your BMS is functioning fine - it is your battery that is the problem.

Unfortunately over-discharging the battery can result in permenant damage, this in addition to not being able to charge the battery right away would also add to its grief.

You might  be lucky with only 1 or very few of the internal cells damaged. Perhaps it would be an idea to open the pack and inspect what voltages the BMS is receiving from the groups.

I'm sure this won't be good news to you, there is a chance you can fix this....

Offline Easy Roller

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:42:01 AM »
Thanks for the fast response
So what voltage should I look for if they are good? And what should I see if they are bad. Matters of fact tell me how to test. I have opened the battery before this post but didn't see any swelling on the batteries nor did I see anything abnormal on the BMS. I bought this kit used with two batteries one good and one bad. I wanted to ride me and my dog 75 miles to the Oregon coast this fall and would like to have the second battery so I could peddle less and not worry about running the batteries down to far. So any help would appreciated
 ???

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
Thanks for the fast response
So what voltage should I look for if they are good? And what should I see if they are bad. Matters of fact tell me how to test. I have opened the battery before this post but didn't see any swelling on the batteries nor did I see anything abnormal on the BMS. I bought this kit used with two batteries one good and one bad. I wanted to ride me and my dog 75 miles to the Oregon coast this fall and would like to have the second battery so I could peddle less and not worry about running the batteries down to far. So any help would appreciated
 ???

No worries...

Is it a GM pack?? Otherwise just follow the voltage ranges as per below. Be wary as some Li-ion are 3.6v nominal and around 2.5v Low. If its not a GM pack, check all the voltages of the cell groups. As you had left the battery discharged, it might be too late but best to check anyways

See here , and also here for further reference + pics of GM

Also photobucket of a 48v pack disassembly, it was then split, cells replaced see here

Now its put back together and sits on top of my bike :)  [Not running BMS for now.....]

Good luck man.... :)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:20:54 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline mike662

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »

Offline nalucruiser

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
I just got my MP2 up and running when this happen who do I contact to get a battery replacement.
Or how did you resolve it?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:11:20 AM »

Nice bike!  :o

DAMN!!! THAT BIKE IS HOT AS HELL MAN... NICE F%@*ING WORKING

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »

Nice bike!  :o

DAMN!!! THAT BIKE IS HOT AS HELL MAN... NICE F%@*ING WORKING

Thanks man!! I like your enthusiasm :D

Hey what happened to all of the 'i' on this topic? They seem to have a space in between and then capital I ??
Weird... I sure did not post it like that.

Anywho my bike is back off the road lol, I'm buying a new top battery and sourcing Manitou front forks....

:D

The problem was a result of a minor bug in the SMF software, although I can't correct the bug, I've hopefully found a manual process which gets around this particular "admin" problem.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:13:20 PM by Bikemad »