Author Topic: engine cooling  (Read 5597 times)

Offline chvojka

• Confirmed
    • e-bike
engine cooling
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Hello.
I ask you how you handle cooling your engine?
I thought about a simple drill holes into the side cover, but it is due to dust, water and mud to me unacceptable.
So what byjste told to pour oil into the engine transfotmátorový, slightly under half of the engine? according to me it would be ideal, nothing would not flow, it would pracht?sné as before, what do you think?

edit: my Magic Pie runs on a basic controller for 1700W (48V - 37A) and no extra cooling needs, but when I played in it have already started 45A enough smack

Chvojka from Czech Rep.:)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:26:28 PM by chvojka »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: engine cooling
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
I don't think oil would make much of a difference as it would still get very hot with no way to cool ?

Oil would also reduce efficiency as you would be creating more resistance.

The only way to cool is to drill holes and maybe make a way that you can seal up the holes while out for a ride in case of rain!

And it might leak out the side covers and axle anyway!

IF you are using the Magic Pie motor it shouldn't get too hot even at 3kw power. I only over heated and fried my halls going up a 16% mountain but the motor didn't burn!

Mark

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:12:23 AM »
Actually that is incorrect. 

Any change to the actual hub would improve
heat retention, not improve cooling.

Aluminum is a great conductor of heat, as is copper.

If you want to quick heat away, then mount fins inside
The spokes to increase airflow across the hub.

Do not mount them ON the hub as that will create a
dead air space. 

Picture air flow as the wheel moves forward.
Try to increase flow over the hub.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »
Drilling the covers would help cooling for sure as the heat would be able to escape much better and allow for better airflow.

Anyway the pie won't get hot on 60 volts and 40 amp battery,and 70 amp phase and will climb all but the very steepest of hills at 28-30 mph.

There isn't a single hub that won't have heat issues with the 16% climb I did, but that was the only time the pie struggled so trust me if you are not climbing hills at 3kw as steep as that the pie just won't even get hot!

Hills that steep are a job for mid drive motors that drive the chain and can use the bikes gears, and so won't allow the motor to bog down!

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
On industrial motors that run high torque at low speed the norm is to use an electric fan. I suggest using a PC fan with large air capacity and install it inside the MP to increase internal air circulation.

If you are smart you also make a small electronic board that:

1) has a temperature sensor for the winding temperature
2) has a temperature sensor for the controller heatsink
3) has a step-down converter that takes battery power and regulates it down to 12V for the fan
4) has a way of decreasing motor speed
5) has a small MCU that turns on fan when needed and reduce motor speed if temperature is dangerously high

This is easy to make for GM or a third party...