Author Topic: Modify the regen controller?  (Read 5442 times)

Offline i95matra

Modify the regen controller?
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
Hi,

I just got a 36V/250 W regen controller, I really like my little front wheel aid, but I lack the following features:

- At low throttle motor regenerates, and no throttle still produces "electromagnetic" breaking but - surprisingly - no regen. Is there any way/modification to make it regenerate even when throttle is not applied?

- Using the cut-off break handles that came with the kit also cuts off regen. When I use the brake handles I want to engage the regen. Anyone did this kind of modification? Is it technically possible with GM motors?

- Is there any way to boost the breaking power of the motor? I guess this would be some kind of separate magnetising circuit in the rotor, which I understand is permanent magnet on these hub motors, and thus not possible. Anyone heard of hub motors and controllers with variable breaking power?

BR/Mattias

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Modify the regen controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:06:53 AM »
 The info is already posted here and there.  Regen is either on or off and is controlled by throttle position.  If you want alot then let up on the throttle alot if you want less then don't let up as much.  A light hand on the throttle will give one much control over braking and speed.  Don't touch the brakes till you are at or nearly at a stop or like many of us just don't hook up the switches at all. Regen seems to be a love hate thing.  I did not like it for the first few miles then I unhooked it and decided to try it again later and now I love it.  Very precise throttle control gives very precise braking/acceleration.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:34:37 AM by biohazardman »

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Modify the regen controller?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:30:51 AM »
> At low throttle motor regenerates, and no throttle still produces "electromagnetic" breaking but - surprisingly - no regen.

I don't have this controller but that's entirely possible. it sounds like a particular way of doing regen that this controller is using. this is not a technical requirement, just a characteristic of this implementation.

> Is there any way/modification to make it regenerate even when throttle is not applied?

not that I know of.

> When I use the brake handles I want to engage the regen. Anyone did this kind of modification?

not that I know of.

> Is it technically possible with GM motors?

of course, but it's probably not worth the effort.

> Is there any way to boost the breaking power of the motor?

you should not exceed the max current rating of the motor. which means that there's a max torque you shouldn't exceed, neither for acceleration nor breaking.

> Anyone heard of hub motors and controllers with variable breaking power?

not me. the motor is fine, but you'd need a different controller for that. I don't know if you'll find it for sale, but there's no technical reason against its existence.