Author Topic: Spontaneous acceleration of Magic Pie  (Read 5019 times)

Offline maximumfly

Spontaneous acceleration of Magic Pie
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
Be careful with the Magic Pie kit.
I'll tell you a story that happened to me recently.
Maybe my story would be useful to someone.

I rode on my bike with Magic Pie for more than 700 km, and all was well.
Recently I was driving down the road, and before the red traffic lights I had to stop.
My speed was 25 km/h, I release the throttle and pushed the brakes...
but the bike continued to accelerate!!!.
At this moment, I really feared for my life.
I with great difficulty managed to stop the bike, and turn off the engine by key on the battery.
After pedalling to home, I found the problem.
There is a short circuit in the wires that led to the acceleration of the motor, and a lack of response to the brake levers.
It is the responsibility of the developers of the internal Magic Pie controller.
They had to predict for this situation.
Spontaneous acceleration of engine, and no chance to stop it is not acceptable, and very dangerous!!!

Hope is no one to repeat, and GoldenMotor engineers will correct this bug for new products.

P.S.
demonstration of effect: http://youtu.be/6ySxUzSH4GM
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:07:15 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Spontaneous acceleration of Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
I've just had a quick look at your video, and the problem you have experienced is not caused by a short circuit, it is unfortunately the result of a poor connection on the black ground wire that also links between several of the connectors, as shown in this diagram:

Click image to view full size.

It may be a poor contact on the 8 pin connector or a break in the wire within the main wiring harness.

The safest way to rectify this problem (and to ensure it won't happen again), is to run a separate thin wire from the black battery negative (-) connection to the black wire/s connected directly to the brake switch connector.

This should ensure that the power to the motor will always be turned off when your brakes are applied, even if the the ground connection on the throttle fails.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:09:07 PM by Bikemad »

Offline maximumfly

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »

The safest way to rectify this problem (and to ensure it won't happen again), is to run a separate thin wire from the black battery negative (-) connection to the black wire/s connected directly to the brake switch connector.

This should ensure that the power to the motor will always be turned off when your brakes are applied, even if the the ground connection on the throttle fails.

Alan

Thanks Alan!

Bright idea, I will do this
Thanks.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
The safest way to take care of this is to run a seperate black lead for the brake levers.....I had this experience recently and it didnt end well...i now talk several notes higher ....... ::)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline maximumfly

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
Hi guys.
Thank you for your answers.
I have already solved the problem  :) , it really was not short circuit, but broken ground wire near the 8 pin connector.

P.S.
I think it's a good idea to use an unused wire (pin 1) as an additional ground.
Of course it will  require to re-solder wire inside the motor too.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »

The yellow wire going to pin 1 on the connector was not used on the early pies as shown in the diagram. However, on subsequent Pies it was actually used for a reverse option and for data transfer via the USB programming lead.

A separate lead from the battery negative (-) to the brake connector is probably the safest and best repair option. ;)

Alan

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »
Ive tried this.... only when turning left.... ended in spinning the number 8 outside my house.... needed help to reach the key-switch,,, and it was a wire...now fixed... but my neghbour got a good laugh:D