Author Topic: Magic Pie front hub motor  (Read 11766 times)

Offline dawinksta

Magic Pie front hub motor
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
hello, this forum seems like a great resource. I'm thinking about buying the Magic Pie hub motor. If the 26 inch rims were available I would consider that, but I don't have a problem making the wheel. So does the front Magic Pie hub (Item Number MP-09F) for $185 come with a throttle? I'm trying to figure out what else I need to get with it.

I like that it has a built in controller, is this hub (Item Number MP-09F) the Magic Pie II? should I wait for Magic Pie III? I've read a few things about malfunctioning controllers, is this still a problem? Thanks!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Magic Pie front hub motor
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
Hi dawinksta

Welcome to the GM forum!  :)

Yes the pie with internal controller will come with a throttle, and cruise controller switch, and E-Brake, only thing you will need is a battery.

I Strongly advise you to get the external controller option, and use an infineon controller of about 30 amps+

A lot of people want more power than the stock GM internal controller can provide, which is usually only 750 watts!

And remember to get yourself torque arms or your motor axel will spin in your dropouts and your cables will be damaged!

This motor has serious power when matched with the right controller.

If you want to keep things simple then the GM internal controller and battery is a good choice and simple enough to install, and you might even find it has more than enough power for you!

The Gm batteries are fine for GM controllers, if you want more power their batteries will not be suitable!

So think about it before you buy, if you think you want a lot more power, then go the external controller option, and get a ping battery 20 ah Minimum for higher power set ups!

I always suggest installing a rear motor option rather than on front forks.

I don't think there is a GM 3 coming any time soon!

Mark

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
I would also strongly suggest not buying from gm china because of the poor response you get if you get any problems. better to order from gm Canada   

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I would also strongly suggest not buying from gm china because of the poor response you get if you get any problems. better to order from gm Canada   

Agreed!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
No china no china no china (Ginge has been on the wine)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline dawinksta

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:51 PM »
Thanks so much for the replys, Im about to hit the order button, so excited!!! They should really note on there that it comes with the throttle and cruise control! It will be going on the front of a trek 7 speed cruiser, heavy frame and no suspension so it should be fine. I will start by using the internal controller and its good to have the option to upgrade. Now to find the cheapest batteries possible. any recommendations on how many Amp-hours I should be getting? I was thinkin two 12v 10AH batteries.

Offline dawinksta

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:13:59 PM »
uh oh, I don't see the hub without the rim in the canada site... I do like the $100 less...   but it would save me alot of time building the wheel. choices!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks so much for the replys, Im about to hit the order button, so excited!!! They should really note on there that it comes with the throttle and cruise control! It will be going on the front of a trek 7 speed cruiser, heavy frame and no suspension so it should be fine. I will start by using the internal controller and its good to have the option to upgrade. Now to find the cheapest batteries possible. any recommendations on how many Amp-hours I should be getting? I was thinkin two 12v 10AH batteries.

24 volts will be very very slow, if that's what you want?

48 12 ah Minimum battery would be my recommendation. And also if you want to upgrade to a higher power controller the 12 ah battery will not be suitable!

You said "it's good to have the option to upgrade" ? That means you have to open the motor and re wire for an external controller, you understand that?  

And upgrading to higher power I still do NOT recommend on front forks,  not with the torque of the pie!

Mark

Offline dawinksta

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 10:45:46 PM »
So I never really said my goal.
I usually have a moped or scooter, but don't at the moment. I do have a small colection of bikes and have fallen in love with this Trek Cruiser. I find myself riding it all the time its fully loaded with basket fenders, 7 speed, bell, lights, comfy seat. My job is 22 miles away and with gas prices, I thought about bicycling. but 22 miles is a bit much when you need to be there by 8am. Soo I started thinking about electric motors. I am very poor, very thrifty, have an electrical engineering degree, and work on bikes.

My main consideration is the price, so it seems to me that the Magic Pies built in controller makes it a good deal right? whats the max speed I could get on flat ground not pedaling if my bike/rider = 275 lbs. @24V? @48V? @72V? do you recommend against using 72v with the built in controller? Thanks!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »
So I never really said my goal.
I usually have a moped or scooter, but don't at the moment. I do have a small colection of bikes and have fallen in love with this Trek Cruiser. I find myself riding it all the time its fully loaded with basket fenders, 7 speed, bell, lights, comfy seat. My job is 22 miles away and with gas prices, I thought about bicycling. but 22 miles is a bit much when you need to be there by 8am. Soo I started thinking about electric motors. I am very poor, very thrifty, have an electrical engineering degree, and work on bikes.

My main consideration is the price, so it seems to me that the Magic Pies built in controller makes it a good deal right? whats the max speed I could get on flat ground not pedaling if my bike/rider = 275 lbs. @24V? @48V? @72V? do you recommend against using 72v with the built in controller? Thanks!

Just sent you a P.M!

The internal controller will take 60 volts max so you need a 48 volt battery which can be as high as 55V hot off the charger!

@48-52 volts your max speed will be 24-25 MPH! @72 volts around 30-35 mph max!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:34:56 AM by Bikemad »

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
is this the bike

can you recharge at work?

Offline dawinksta

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 04:52:12 PM »
hey I didnt get the pm. and I don't think ill be able to recharge at work, but I don't mind taking my time back and peddaling.

I couldnt see a picture or link? but its a Trek Calypso maybe 4 years old.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
I'll resend!

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 06:14:43 PM »
hey I didnt get the pm. and I don't think ill be able to recharge at work, but I don't mind taking my time back and peddaling.

I couldnt see a picture or link? but its a Trek Calypso maybe 4 years old.
I don't think the Magic Pie is the best motor for you because it is quite hard to pedal when not under power to do the 44 miles to work and back I think you would need a 30amp/h battery

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
Hey dawinksta,

I'm sorry I did not see where you had 44 miles round trip to do,

Seriously, if you are doing that kind of mileage in a day, a bike is going to be very uncomfortable!

Perhaps consider a scooter, or cheap 125?

It would probably be cheaper to buy?

Mark