Author Topic: MP does not fit - shaft too thick  (Read 5019 times)

Offline jenkie

• Confirmed
MP does not fit - shaft too thick
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Hi all,

I'm trying to fit my MP rear wheel to my steel frame but the shaft of the Magic Pie has a thickness of 10.2-10.3mm while the mounting points of my frame only have an opening of 9.8 mm. Every other frame I checked was also made for 9.8 mm shafts. I have not heard of anybody having to enlarge their mounting points to make the mp fit - but this would be the only solution. Can I safely enlarge the mounting points with a file? Has anybody done this? Or do Magic Pies just not fit to European bikes? :)

Thank you!
Jens

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: MP does not fit - shaft too thick
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »
Yes, this is quite common. File them down on the sides trying not to file the axle space any deeper as this may cause a slightly slanted mount between the two axles.  File very carefully a tiny amount at a time, be patient so you don't end up filing away too much. File a little and then check the fitment, then file a little more and check again, keep doing this until a tight fit is got which drops right in to the space fully, you do not want any space for the Magic Pie to have movement in the axle space. It is advised to fit a torque arm as well.

A steel frame is very strong so you don't have to worry about filing a little.

Offline jenkie

• Confirmed
Re: MP does not fit - shaft too thick
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
Thank you, now I'm happy again :)
Maybe I was blind that I didn't find anything about this issue before.....