Author Topic: I HEARD A LOUD CLANGING NOISE !!!  (Read 4124 times)

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
I HEARD A LOUD CLANGING NOISE !!!
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:42:07 AM »
I was riding in early Jan. on my three month old Magic Pie when I heard an alarming pwanging sound...
fearing the worst I examined the motor...I tried trueing the rear wheel in case it was the spokes.It just got worse esp when I braked. Next I replaced the front brake pads but it only grew in intensity with each ride. Finally the front wheel locked up as I got to my last student's house on a dark and cold monday evening . Turns out that the frozen front shocks had caused the front wheel to shatter .... (Ha ha not the motor at all)  . I got a two rhinolite rims set up at MIKETHEBIKE.COM  (one for the studded tire and one for the knobby) and LACARRERA installed some  used rockshox shockage at a very reasonable price ...and I' m still riding... sorry to post so infrequently but that means no big problems ...the controller did overheat riding thru unpacked snow in the Toronto Parkland and had to disconect the cruise and regen brakes to get home but after an hour charging outside a students house it worked fine ... I think that lack of traction on the rear wheel was the cause ....in all the motor and wheel seem to have made it thru the winter...I did avoid riding on the wet weather just above freezing though ... Also used the public transit lots and relied on the bike only two days a week... I carry the charger and 20foot extension cord and charge anytime I stop for an hour or longer...seems good  to about -10Celsius ...if not charging I leave the battery on at all times whe it is outside in the cold..the connection where the cable from the charger goes into the battery seems to contract in the cold and is not tight at room temperature now so sometimes problematic knowing if the green light means disconected or at end of charge cycle... I'll try to attach some photos....RESILIENT MAGIC PIE STILL ROCKING IN TORONTO...
  Nice Guy Steve
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:30:33 PM by niceguysteve »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: I HEARD A LOUD CLANGING NOISE !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:34:15 AM »
Hi Steve

Sounds like some true Canadian winter riding! Bike looks great, I think last time you posted a pic it was with a large keyboard on the back.

Enjoy the ride!
Gary

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
scratched battery
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:41:40 AM »
 Hi Gary   Does the 10amp charger take less time to charge ?
  Thx Steve Evans

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: scratched battery
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »
Hi Gary   Does the 10amp charger take less time to charge ?
  Thx Steve Evans

I would say yes, but how much faster I am not sure. I think we need the e-geek experts for that information. How about is guys, you must have some formula for figuring this out?

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:46:01 AM »
What 10A charger?? Is there one available?

I have trouble finding a 54.6v charger other than GM ones anyway, well I find them but the prices are outrageous..

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:40 AM »
What 10A charger?? Is there one available?

I have trouble finding a 54.6v charger other than GM ones anyway, well I find them but the prices are outrageous..

Man I am such a moron sometimes. I was unpacking some new batteries and chargers and noticed "10 amp" on the side. Seems impressive I thought. Now I have taken a closer look :-[

Can anyone see my mistake lol. Oh well not everyone is perfect, I am certasinly here to prove that!

Sorry..

Gary

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »
The fuse?
What do I win?! ;D

But 3A @ 54.6V are a big improvement over the standard 1.8A charger (at least my 36V charger says 1.8A output.)... Would these be available in the future for a reasonable price?