Author Topic: Monkeys bike with 'tassles'  (Read 40819 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Monkeys bike with 'tassles'
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
HAHA Monkey,

You are one crazy guy!  ;D

Can't wait to see it finished, you should make a movie for us too!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
Ok so I got a heap done over the weekend... These pics look a bit bodgey with the dust thats gathered and pieces missing from the dashboard I thought I'd post them up if anyone gets any ideas from them then cool...

These panels were from a disc brake cover set I got for around $15 that cover the speed sensor and front pie harness on the front forks, I built in turn signals for each side and RGB LED's that point to the wheel while I was at it lol

The other shapey panels are from the pit bike plastics set I got for about $20 that I modified to fit both front + back, protects the underside of the bottom battery and each side panel has some accessories built into it.

The right panel has a euro police siren circuit with a bunch of sirens etc, being a black bike I always have people cutting me off and ill attempts to make me crash!!! I've got a full on story I think for every single piece on the bike - everything was based on a CHEAP budget or made from stuff I had lying around that matched the bike, I'm becoming amazed myself at how this thing has got together!@!!

Left panel has a 2x5W amp that powers the console speakers, the volume control is external and has a couple of lighting switches built into the side

Oh and the bigger piece is the acrylic dash with a mp3 player and a 4x20 character screen I've written a basic program that monitors my 3 batteries (2 wheel, 1 accessory). Pretty much every project I try and put a character LCD that I have tons of, even if its for little to no reason!!! But it will be cool to view the battery voltages together.

Enough rant, ok a little more LOL I'm gunna work on the rear PWM brake tonight I need to sort out this rear disc brake mount, it just had caliper brakes stock but I'm using smaller wheels so this is my best option. So the rear mechanical brake is controlled by 3 levels of braking, I'm using this super strong pull solenoid that I'm running through a tiny brush motor controller and it works amazingly!!!
With the solenoid activated I cannot pull out the plunger at all with 1 hand I have no idea what the pull strength is but it has around 20mm travel. I'll get some pics happening of this tonight too, basically the solenoid pulls the brake wire at 3 levels, low, med and full lock its my own little thing I came up with 'monkeying' around haha

I'll explain more how it works and how its activated with pics, the solenoid chomps around 3A @ 12v full strength:O

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:21 AM »
And some moray

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
Nice job on the speed sensor monkey!

All those wires man, I'd go crazy!  ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
cheers man, its meant for a motorcycle mount is why its so big, it uses a hall sensor the digital odometer bolts on a headset mount I made. lol I'm gunna be taking lots of pics I think so I can explain myself better

As for the wires, yup it looks a bit spaghettied when its raw, but then I solder it all up, put plugs or wire covering where I need and it usually goes from a jillion wires to just a few...

Like the siren I built into the right panel, here its finished with the boards glued and siliconed onto the panel and all those wires went down to 4.... 12v+, 12v-, speaker + and speaker - the rest go to the switches or accessory built onto the panel

The whole bike I have wired so its plugged in 3 sections from the middle. Rear wiring, frame, then the handlebar is seperate. So if I ever bust this frame I can make a quick modification to a similar type and swap all this crap over. Touch wood that never happens (searches for wood but all I can find is metal and plastic lol)

And everything bolts together or hideen cable ties one way or another on rubber mounts I make from old shoes or like in the speedo picture was a cut strap of a handbag my mother was going to throw out!!! haha

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
Update time Monkey lol.

How's your evening going?

Is that spaceBike nearly finished yet?  ;D

I can't get out on mine the last few days, the weather is complete crap!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »
I been out on mine, weather is still crap.....get some waterproofs my man :)

Mac has no problem with the rain ;)

regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:29 AM »
Hi Ginge

yeah I have the waterproofs, but I don't have the motivation to go out in this crap weather. Summer me arse!  We had the coldest May ever recorded I heard the met.ie say. LOL global warming??? and being taxed to hell on carbon emissions with fuel tax, drives me crazy every time I fill up the car, it makes me crazier thinking of how cold the winter is going to get, and I go nutz thinking about the low sunspots still and scientists are saying if cycle 35 doesn't kick in soon we could be in for 100 years or so of very cold times like the mini ice age back in the 1650-1750's Crazy!

And the global warming nuts keep saying it's getting warmer and even the cold is because of the warming. I wish someone would throw them all into the artic!

I think E-Biking this summer will be a lot less than last year!

By the way Ginge did you swap that stator yet for god sake LOL I am interested in your results with it!

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
Update time Monkey lol.

How's your evening going?

Is that spaceBike nearly finished yet?  ;D

I can't get out on mine the last few days, the weather is complete crap!

Haha its FRIDAY!! woooooooooooo but weather is piss poor.... Boooo

Very little has happened through the week, I've finished the front and rear plastics and just got a few mods on the side panels then its another step closer... Its so friggin cold!!!!!!!

I have 3 main points to complete:

1. Front wiring (dashboard, controls, audio)
2. Battery box wiring (customised GM battery casing with plug & play wheel inputs/outputs)
3. Rear disc brake caliper mount. Really not sure what I'm doing here but I think it's going to be bolt mounted until a mate can weld something for me

My rear PWM electric mechanic disc brake is working awesome!!!! I've made it so its a low setting, medium, and full lock via pushbuttons. I was sceptical at first, but it sure is faster than I can ever pull a brake lever!!

Oh - and on the topic of crap weather I should note that every single part on the bike has been weather sealed wether it's clear coat on the paint, machine oil sprayed through the inside of the frame to prevent rust, and every single exposed electric connection either glue sealed, or sealed with liquid electrical tape!!

You need some serious ventilation with this liquid electric tape!!!! corrrrr blimey !

This thing is scrubbing up quite nicely, although its not everyones cup of tea if anyone tall rode this would be amazed at the ridability and riding position its worked out great

Not going out this weekend so writing this hopefully gives me the motive to finish this thing

I'm just so glad I ran out of practical ideas for add ons haha

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »

I'm just so glad I ran out of practical ideas for add ons haha

Ran out of Ideas ???

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 08:19:30 AM »
I've been rebuilding this since Feb??? Good lord... Lol lucky I have other things to ride haha

I did promise myself I'd take my time with it. Anyways, it's all coming along very nicely. I thought I'd blow the dust of this topic post and post up some recent pics.

Just finishing the middle wiring, then I complete the top battery box...... and yeeehaw!! I'm back with dual drive and a pretty unique looking bike

Here are a few pics I've taken over the past many weeks. I work full time and have been travelling a fair bit so I really only have worked on it sparingly however, many hours have been consumed getting this together smoothly !!!

Preparing Handlebar wiring, prepared so I can simply remove the handlebar from the headstem should I ever change frames. The whole bike can be swapped to another frame pretty easily...

Prepare mounts etc. + wiring

Prepare dashboard

Prepare throttle switch, adjustable electric brake etc.

Measure placement, outputs etc.

Complete.....

Painted + sealed where possible (Dashboard also has plastic cover [showercap lol] for rain)

Currently wiring the console, and fuse breakers etc.

Subwoofer and main amp mounted, 12v LiPo batteries mounted (Accessories battery) hidden behind side panels part of console

Acrylic console, bandpass speakers, 12v battery level, LiPo temperature guage (just in case lol) 10AWG wire prepared for Front motor power

Rear electric brake actuator box completed, tailights, rear mudguard mount etc. completed. Rear to middle wiring completed

So I just have a few more tasks, then I'll release the completed photos :) Its nothing as I expected!!! Lol but I really like how its looking now yeehaw

The top battery box still needs to go on there, I've pre-tested all of the functions already. If I have any advice for this build, is to always test and check all connections. Thankfully, I've sorted out any problems as I've mounted them to eliminate pulling it apart once its done.

Tested everything but my throttle switch function.... Fingers crossed !!!!!!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »

So, you've finally found the XD adapter for your camera, or more likely just bought another one. ;)

The project appears to be progressing well at the moment, but what happens when you come up with something else that you decide to incorporate into the build? I'm concerned it could end up like some of my over ambitious projects, which never actually get finished!! ::)

Have you managed to weigh it yet? Because I'm still curious as to exactly how much extra weight you have managed to load onto it. :D

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing a video of the completed "Monkey Bike" in action. ;D

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
that is the craziest contraption I've ever seen!! :D

There are three things missing from these photos,, a white jacket with straps, padded cell, ...... and some colourful tassles ;)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 03:22:41 AM »
So, you've finally found the XD adapter for your camera, or more likely just bought another one. ;)

These were on my Blackberry haha, but I found the XD adapter last night!! Did you know they don't even sell that adapter in shops?? You can only get it from Olympus or Ebay.... Never buying Olympus again lol

Have you managed to weigh it yet? Because I'm still curious as to exactly how much extra weight you have managed to load onto it. :D

Have not had a chance to weigh it.. But I assume no more than 4 to 5KG there is nothing really heavy on there.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing a video of the completed "Monkey Bike" in action. ;D
Alan

Hey thanks !!! Me too....  I have a DVR and 3 cameras mounted on the bike so surely I will have some videos happening soon!

Finished the middle wiring last night, I'm working on the battery case tonight and then guess what...... I'm done!!!!!!!!

I must say I need to make a video with my camcorder to capture what it looks like at night, and the amazing sound that comes from the sound system! I am truly a proud Monkey that all is working.

Still need to weld on a disc brake activator mount, so I am leaving the PWM brake until last. I will make do with regen and front brake for now.

that is the craziest contraption I've ever seen!! :D

There are three things missing from these photos,, a white jacket with straps, padded cell, ...... and some colourful tassles ;)

Lolll its not that crazy!!! And I was going to ask you what color tassles you think I should get since you are the expert hehe. That's all I really have room for lol

But I have built the bike so its ready should I want to change to MP3 wheel, or use External controllers etc. Both of the GM batteries have the slide tray bolted onto the frame, so I can change this pretty easily. As future proof as it is, I think I'll be leaving it AS IS - perhaps only changing the internal controllers to the new ones if they are decent enough.

I'm pumped to get this happening now ~!!

:D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:00:37 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2011, 10:46:18 AM »
Hey Monkey,

Looking good, bout time you got it on the road eah?  :P

Looking forward to seeing the videos,

By the way are you running the internal controllers and GM batteries? I forget tat this stage!  ;D

But well done, really cool looking Monkey machine!  ;D

Mark