Author Topic: Magic Pie over current  (Read 3442 times)

Offline AstroGeek

Magic Pie over current
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »
Hello

I am new here and seem to be having issues with the current limiting on my Magic Pie which I recently purchased.

I have set the current to 15amp cont, 20amp peak, 48Volt 15amp/hr ping battery yet despite this the current drawn seems to shoot up to 44amps
before the bms on the battery cuts it off(atleast I assume it's the batt BMS doing this).

I can limit it by using the throttle buts it's like the current limiting side of things has failed or I am doing something drastically wrong.

As you can imagine this is not to good for a 15amp/hr battery or the wiring + motor.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or something similar?

Many thanks

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie over current
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:49 AM »
Hi Astro welcome

Wow sound like you have a hungry motor! Is this an internal or external controller?
It doesn't sound common. And you may get some PM's asking you to 'swap' motors with them :D

I will say the motors are not tested nor designed to be used with non-GM batteries. So there could be some conflict there with voltage~current consumption (as the controller will have a different input reading)

So it may be the case that you use much lower settings in the software in order for it to function within range. Maybe try this with the software, and possibly a different voltage setting on the controller using your meter to find the range you need.

Cheers
MM

Edit: Oh and the GM 48v battery is 54.6V charged if that's any help

Offline AstroGeek

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Many thanks MM, I will try and program a very tiny amount, maybe 1amp cont, 2amp peak or something to see if this makes a difference.

I have an internal controller and I think regarding the batt voltage that the ping gives approx the same value it always seems to be hovering around the 54 volt mark.

Thanks
AG

Offline AstroGeek

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »
Well I attempted to program 1amp cont, 1amp peak 0%regen, 48v.

The motor fired up, big judder and 5 beeps  :(

Now the wheel is lumpy as it is rotated by hand and 5 beeps when ever I apply power, the motor does still generate a voltage when turned by hand.
I will have to investigate further, I have emailed this to GM but jugding by some of the posts on this forum I will certainly not hold my breath.

With any luck the problem may be repairable, atleast the logic side of things is still operational since I am gettings beeps so hopefully it could be repaired by replacing some or all the fets.

AG