Author Topic: Joining two PIE power cables to one battery connector  (Read 10751 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Joining two PIE power cables to one battery connector
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:47:03 PM »
Firstly is it possible to open up the plastic GM battery connector plug without breaking it. 

Secondly,  once open how best to splice/join a second PIE cable so I can run two pies off one battery, and how best to re-seal the connector plastic cover.

I know this is a rudimentary question, but please keep in mind I have no previous skill level with doing this kind of thing. :-\

Andrew :)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Joining two PIE power cables to one battery connector
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »
Hi Andrew

What ive done is to duplicate the connector on the battery throughout the system, its called an anderson sBM50 or 50 amp ......they are much higher quality than the GM ones ( wont arc on high current).lots of solder required for installation, but you can make leads for  your own configuration that all link together ....2 each for the cycle analyst at each end of the shunt, a 2 into one for battery connections ( even one for my turnigy watt meter for battery charging self bms)...so you can choose battery in parrellel or battery for each wheel easily

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6120150
( the cheapest I can find)
they are symettrical, so 2 will link to each other, really easy to install after the first one

let me know if you need any more info
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:23:21 PM »
thanks mate,

so to keep things simple, I really just need one of these Andreson connectors(as in link) and then I can just join the black and red wires from both pie cables onto it?

Sorry for the simplistic approach, but I really need this broken down, as i've never even used a soldering iron  before. I suppose this is a crash course...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:33:16 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:23 AM »
thanks mate,

so to keep things simple, I really just need one of these Andreson connectors(as in link) and then I can just join the black and red wires from both pie cables onto it?

Sorry for the simplistic approach, but I really need this broken down, as i've never even used a soldering iron  before. I suppose this is a crash course...

I know some will probably complain about this method but this is how I did it. On my bike I have all my wires join up in a controller box. There is plenty of room and the conections are unseen. Instead of soldering or making nice plug conections I just twisted the ends together and used marrets like the photo shown. Then I added black electrical tape to ensure they stay on. This works very well but does look bulky. But since the conection is hidden it doesnt mattter.

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:58:59 AM »

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6120150
they are symettrical, so 2 will link to each other, really easy to install after the first one

OK, I'm probably looking into this in a far more complex manner than needs be.

let me get this straight in my head....

1. cut/strip both PIE cables/wires near battery connector.
2. Twist wires together (red to red and black to black)
3. Push the 'Spade' like connectors(that come with the Anderson) on to the twisted wires and crimp each on tight.
4. Push each spade connector into correct Anderson plug terminal and click it into position?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »
Hey Andrew

There is probably a plethora of ways to do it.... Honestly I think Gary's method would be best for you if you are a little unsure...
The anderson connector can be disassembled by pushing a small flat head screwdriver though the back of the plug, you will see a 'tang' splade that locks in the anderson terminal.

You could cut 2 completely good leads and put another plug on there, what I would do is just cut 1 plug off a lead, then strip a centimetre or 2 in a place on the good lead to solder the second one to. So then you keep 1 good lead, and have a spare connector. No need to buy another Anderson connector.

Make sure your soldering iron is 60+Watts >> ideally 80W for that gauge wire.  Or those marrets Gary suggested would be fine.

I made a new power cable (10AWG) that splits into 2 x 12AWG as with the single GM 12Ah battery pack you WILL have quite a voltage drop with the standard wiring.
The shorter you can make your dual drive power cable with a single GM battery the better.

Ooooh someone is close to tasty dual drive action ;)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »
Hi Andrew

I got some wiring to do this weekend with the CA, if you can wait, ill do a picture guide...( or tomorrow if I get time)

I ve put andersons on

both ends cycle analyst

3 into 1 battery connectors ( for distance)

turnight watt meter

Even on the charger, so I charge the original GM battery through the battery out instead of the charger socket, so the charger has the same end for all the batteries

regards

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »
Hi Andrew

I got some wiring to do this weekend with the CA, if you can wait, ill do a picture guide...( or tomorrow if I get time)

I ve put andersons on

both ends cycle analyst

3 into 1 battery connectors ( for distance)

turnight watt meter

Even on the charger, so I charge the original GM battery through the battery out instead of the charger socket, so the charger has the same end for all the batteries

regards

that would be of the greatest help :)  :)   All I need are the basics so I can get two pies running off the one GM 48v battery.

Cheers Ginge! ;D

As much as Gary's 'wire nut' solution seems the easiest way to bind two wires, I don't quite understand where along the two cables I would do that??  I think i'm being a bit dopey

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
This is how I picture setting up the front pie neatly.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »
Hi Andrew

What ive done is to duplicate the connector on the battery throughout the system, its called an anderson sBM50 or 50 amp ......they are much higher quality than the GM ones ( wont arc on high current).lots of solder required for installation, but you can make leads for  your own configuration that all link together ....2 each for the cycle analyst at each end of the shunt, a 2 into one for battery connections ( even one for my turnigy watt meter for battery charging self bms)...so you can choose battery in parrellel or battery for each wheel easily

Just found out there is an 'RS Components' trade Counter not far from where I work. So I will be picking up an Anderson connector after work tomorrow.  £2.78 seems very reasonable.(just means one less pint o' cider tomorrow night) :P

I've taken the plastic plug off the GM battery cable leaving the two terminals on the red and black wires, I think they have been soldered as well as crimped, but i'm not sure.

Will the new terminals with the RS Anderson Connector need soldering?  I suppose crimping is not enough to get a good contact???

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
Hi Andrew

I can tell you cant wait till the weekend  ;)

here is a video for a larger but same version of the anderson powerpoles (ours are 50, but these are 175amp I think..i heat with a soldering iron, but here they use a blowtorch, but the method is the same, you will get the general idea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7h6rYZnVI&feature=related

all the reds to +, all the blacks to -....I hope this helps...i tend to stand them on their end, and fill a bath of solder about half way ( this will take some time as the connector and the holder will absorb heat, but once you get the "bath " liquid, you just insert the wire

anything you arent clear on, just post ;)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
nice one! ;D

Andrew 8)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 02:51:00 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Here are two pictures, one DualPieOneBattery and DualPieDualBattery. you just twist all the reds together and all the blacks together, then marret them together. Then you are good to go to plug them into the desired components. Of couse the cable lengths have to be altered to fit the locations of the items on the bike, but this is just to simplify the thinking.

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 07:23:39 AM »
Gary
Thanks for taking pictures, I need visuals :D

makes complete sense.  I will try soldering on a new connector first, as it is cheaper to buy one of these than to buy a pack of marrette connectors.   When/if it all goes wrong I will use the marrette as plan B  ;D

I will get there, never mind how slowly!

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Hi Andrew

I can tell you cant wait till the weekend  ;)

here is a video for a larger but same version of the anderson powerpoles (ours are 50, but these are 175amp I think..i heat with a soldering iron, but here they use a blowtorch, but the method is the same, you will get the general idea....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7h6rYZnVI&feature=related

all the reds to +, all the blacks to -....I hope this helps...i tend to stand them on their end, and fill a bath of solder about half way ( this will take some time as the connector and the holder will absorb heat, but once you get the "bath " liquid, you just insert the wire

anything you arent clear on, just post ;)

Will a 60watt soldering iron be powerful enough to heat the Anderson Terminals enough to melt in the solder and keep it liquid for long enough to push in the wire?