Author Topic: Should I use a 1000W 48V or Magic Pie?  (Read 6870 times)

Offline frankcarey

Should I use a 1000W 48V or Magic Pie?
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
Hi,

I've been hearing about issues with the Magic Pie, but I'm wondering if they are maybe resolved now?  I like the idea of not having to have an external controller (one less thing to get stolen in NYC), so that is a plus. I'm wondering if I can then later use my own controller if I wish with the Magic Pie.  

I also see on the GM site that there is a dual motor bike they have a picture of (looks like 2 Magic Pies).  I'm wondering what the benefits / trade offs are for such a setup.  Would I need 2 throttles?  Would I get less distance? I imagine I would be able to get more power, so quicker acceleration but would the top speed be the same?

Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Should I use a 1000W 48V or Magic Pie?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »

Hi Frank andto the forum.

I've been hearing about issues with the Magic Pie, but I'm wondering if they are maybe resolved now?
The offset rim and excessive spoke angle should be rectified when version II of the Pie is completed.

I like the idea of not having to have an external controller (one less thing to get stolen in NYC), so that is a plus. I'm wondering if I can then later use my own controller if I wish with the Magic Pie.
It would not be easy to fit an external controller as you would need to change all the leads coming from the motor.

I also see on the GM site that there is a dual motor bike they have a picture of (looks like 2 Magic Pies).  I'm wondering what the benefits / trade offs are for such a setup. 
Much improved hill climbing ability and acceleration but unfortunately more weight.

Would I need 2 throttles? 
No, it uses a single throttle control.

Would I get less distance?
Probably, but it all depends on how it is used, if you were to use all the available power, the battery will only last half as long.

I imagine I would be able to get more power, so quicker acceleration but would the top speed be the same?
It should be slightly faster but not by much.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
but would the top speed be the same?
normally you could get about 42km/h on flat but the freewheel speed is 50km/h so it should be between those numbers. so I think another 4km/h more for double the price and half the range ??? only if there are hills that can't be climed :D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:51:23 AM »
Yes top speed should improve with a dual Pie.  You shouldn't loose half the distance but you can double any inefficiencies from free wheeling decreasing a bit from normal to full load comparable to a single motor.

Bikemad beat me to it.  It depends how you use it!

You might use closer to half the current per hub equalling a single Pie on flats and between .8 to 1 current per hub more current on hills so in total the best averaged guess would be 1.6 times more power.  But you will get up those hills faster limiting the time that the hard load is endured.

One wants two motors for a reason and saving watts isnt it. Double the grunt on heavy terain will take double the watts and thats why you would want a dual drive Pie.  The last thing to consider is why one wants or needs two motors and is it necessary for your uses.  

All the above figure are ball park guesses.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:54:52 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:13:21 AM »
I am going to the 2x wheels but not single throttle

I was going to use twist and thumb combo .. we have steep hills here ... and if one fails I have a backup
also 2x the recharge going down hill ??  not that I know how to get that into the bateries :S