Author Topic: Start-Stop problem with Ebike kit  (Read 7715 times)

Offline egga

Start-Stop problem with Ebike kit
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »
I have a problem with the E-Bike kit I recently purchased from an Ebay seller in Australia. I installed the kit with brand new and fully charged batteries. I also made sure that everything was connected properly.

The problem is that the motor runs for about 1-2 seconds, and then stops for 4-5 seconds, then repeats this cycle. Is this a problem with the control box? Should I send the control box back to the seller for a replacement?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Start-Stop problem with Ebike kit
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
    I have a problem with the E-Bike kit I recently purchased from an Ebay seller in Australia. I installed the kit with brand new and fully charged batteries. I also made sure that everything was connected properly.

The problem is that the motor runs for about 1-2 seconds, and then stops for 4-5 seconds, then repeats this cycle. Is this a problem with the control box? Should I send the control box back to the seller for a replacement?

Egga,

It would be useful if you could give us a few more details:

• If you raise the wheel and operate the throttle (with no load) does it still keep stopping?

• Does it have a pedal sensor?

• What batteries are you using? (type, Ah rating and voltage)

• What rating is the motor? (Voltage and Wattage)

• What voltage speed controller do you have?

• Are you able to check the voltage, using a voltmeter, when the motor stops? (or preferably just before)
      It sounds like it could be the LVC. (Low Voltage Cutout) on the speed controller.

Please give as much information as you can.

Alan

p.s. What did the Ebay seller in Australia say about this problem?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:29:19 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
    • Emperor
    • PhD. Magic
    • Dark Templar
      • GoldenMotor Youtube
    « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
    GoldenMotor never sell any products on ebay. Please ask warranty from seller directly.

Offline egga

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »

Egga,

It would be useful if you could give us a few more details:

• If you raise the wheel and operate the throttle (with no load) does it still keep stopping?
        - No, it keeps going if there is no load or going downhill.

• Does it have a pedal sensor?
        - No.

• What batteries are you using? (type, Ah rating and voltage)
        3 X 12V, 7.2AH deep cycle AGM batteries.

• What rating is the motor? (Voltage and Wattage)
        - 36V/500W

• What voltage speed controller do you have?
        - I don't know.

• Are you able to check the voltage, using a voltmeter, when the motor stops? (or preferably just before)
        It sounds like it could be the LVC. (Low Voltage Cutout) on the speed controller.
        - How would I do this?

Please give as much information as you can.

Alan

p.s. What did the Ebay seller in Australia say about this problem?
      - They have not replied yet. But I will let you know when they do...

After reading other posts, I think the problem relates to the battery capacity. When I don't use full throttle going up hills and on the flat, the motor does not cut out. I may need to get another set and connect them in parallel to get 14.4AH?

Cheers,
      Egga
      « Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:08:05 AM by egga »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
      • Professor
      • PhD. Magic
      « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:55:49 AM »

Under load, the motor runs for about 1-2 seconds, and then stops for 4-5 seconds, then repeats this cycle.

When I don't use full throttle going up hills and on the flat, the motor does not cut out.

After reading other posts, I think the problem relates to the battery capacity.

I may need to get another set and connect them in parallel to get 14.4AH?

Egga,

It sounds like one of three options to me:

• The batteries are not able to maintain a high enough voltage under load and the Low Voltage Cutout (LVC) is doing it's job.

• The batteries are able to maintain a high enough voltage under load but the battery cables are too thin to deliver it to the speed controller.
      or
      • The speed controller has built in overload protection which is cutting out because of excessive current.

I'm inclined to go with the battery capacity, as three 12V, 7.2AH deep cycle AGM batteries may not be able to deliver enough power for the 36V/500W motor under full load.

The easiest way to confirm this is to connect a voltmeter across the speed controller where the battery supply leads connect and slowly apply load until the motor cuts out.

If the voltage is pulled down to around 31.5 Volts (10.5Volts/battery) just before it cuts out, then it will be the LVC doing it's job.
      (Either batteries or cables are not good enough)

In order to diagnose further, reconnect the voltmeter directly across each battery in turn and test again
      (Taking a note of the reading obtained for each battery).

• If the voltage goes down to around 10.5 Volts on all of the batteries, then the batteries are not able to supply the required power. (Another set in parallel will definitely help)

• If the voltage is significantly higher than 10.5 Volts at each of the batteries, then the cables are not able to carry the required current and will need upgrading.

• If one battery reading is significantly lower than the other two, it would indicate an undercharged or faulty battery.
             (Fully recharge batteries and test again to confirm)

Alan

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:17:36 PM by Bikemad »