Author Topic: Using 250W mini-motor with non-GoldenMotor controller (specs/configuration)  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Oz Nick

Hi folks,

First post, so here goes...

I've got a GoldenMotor 250W front mini-motor and would like to use a non-GoldenMotor controller with it, so need to know the motor and hall sensor specs.  The reason I'm doing this is to learn more about e-bikes (I'm an engineer), but also to add in cool features such as traction control, variable regen, low/high power modes, battery meter, etc.

Has anyone taken these motors apart and can enlighten me?  I've tried, but mine's really well sealed and I don't want to ruin it. I'd try and analyse the motor's back-EMF waveform but don't really have the gear.

In particular I'm after:
1. Number of poles?
2. Wye or delta wound?
3. Hall sensor spacing (60 or 120 degrees)?

I presume the hall sensors are digital and that the commutation sequence is the usual sequential type.

If people have taken the 36V, 500W motor apart and know its specs then that would be handy too.

Any help much appreciated.  :)

Cheers,
Oz Nick
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:22:42 AM by Oz Nick »

Offline Barry

I don't know if this is what you want but it is out of one of their PDFs.

8. Motor phase Calibrating (Do not use it unless your motor is not from GoldenMotor):

The controller can work brushless motors with different phase angles other than defaulted 120 degree.
Below are procedures to let controller match the motor phases:

Cut-off power to controller and motor
 Grip and hold power brake lever, turn throttle to maximum speed position, depress the cruise control
button, turn on the power switch (using battery key) 
 Connect battery power to the system, release throttle, release brake lever, release cruise control
button. 
 Listen 2 beep sound, turn the motor wheel forward and reverse once
 If hear 1 beep sound, motor phase calibrating successfully completed.
 Otherwise, swapping any two of three motor phase wires, and repeat above steps. 

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Barry;

Your directions are for using a non-GM motor with the GM controller.

He wants to go the other way.

The motor is a three phase brushless motor.  The mean input voltage is
24Volts, (250/24 ~= 10.5Amps)

Sorry, don't have the info on the angles.

Offline Oz Nick

Thanks Barry, at least that tells me it uses 120 degree spacing on the hall sensors, which is useful.

Thanks e-lmer. The current rating is good to know too. I'll initially limit the current to 10A and will investigate pushing it past that later.   The controller I intend to use is rated up to 15A (@36V).

I could probably work out the number of poles by sticking in a guess, and then observing the electrical and mechanical speed of the motor.
i.e. mech speed = elec speed / number of poles.  That should be pretty straightforward and not damage anything.

That just leaves the winding connections - wye or delta?

Cheers,
Oz Nick
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:21:57 AM by Oz Nick »