Author Topic: VEC500-controlled motor suddenly stops  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Hamouchou

• Confirmed
VEC500-controlled motor suddenly stops
« on: June 19, 2019, 10:42:21 AM »
Subject : VEC500-controlled motor sudden stop

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a project where I'm supposed to test a BLDC 48V/10Kw motor on a test bench before integrating it in a tricycle. There is :

-HPM48-10000
-VEC500 controller
-PI-400 adapter (in case there might be some configration needed)
-FSC-010 foot throttle (used as a manual throttle)

So, I've noticed that an error occures in two particular instances :

-To give an example for the first case, let's say that I rotated suddenly the throttle to a certain position that produces 2V in its output (range from 0.2 to 4.8 V), the motor turns for a second and then turns off. I've measured the throttle voltage in this instance, and I've noticed that it returns to the minimal value (0.2), and then back to 2V. Here, the controller blinks 14 times, which is from my observations an error given when there's a throttle input(2V, in this case) given initially, as the controller is kind of "reset".

-The second case is when I apply torque to the motor on the bench : The bench is designed in a way that applies discontinuous torque (in 10% steps), for example :
+At speed 1000rpm, I can apply up to 60% of the maximum torque, and the motor turns off. The same thing happens for the throttle input as the first case, it returns to its minimum value, the motor turns off, and the input goes back to the previously applied voltage, which gives the 14 blinks error.
+At speed 4000rpm, I can only apply 10-20% of the max torque before the motor turns off.

My assumption is that in the first case, there's some acceleration time configuration that turns off the controller when I change the throttle fast, or the issue could be in the throttle itself. But in the second case, I'm not so certain.
If the issue includes some configuration of the controller, then I'd like to mention that I can't connect my PC with the controller using the PI-400 cable and the PI-800 software.

I'd appreciate any kind of help, I'm on a time limit to get this thing functioning and I'm really blocked currently.

PS: In the picture : You can find the behvaior of the throttle voltage, I started with a low speed, then I changed the throttle suddenly to a higher speed (equivalent to around 4.5 V), you can see that the voltage is down to its minimal value, which turns off the motor, and returns back to its initial value, which makes the controller blink 14 times.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:03:41 PM by Hamouchou »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC500-controlled motor suddenly stops
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:59:55 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

4.25 Volts would exceed the Throttle maximum allowed voltage (V) if it is still set at 4.0 as shown below:

This would cause the controller to cut power instantly.

Check your maximum and minimum throttle voltages coming from the foot throttle and set the throttle parameters accordingly.

The cutting out under load is probably due to low current parameter settings, you will need to check what they currently are and probably increase until the cutting out under load stops happening.

What is the maximum current available from your battery/power supply?

The Phase current is typically set ~30% higher than the battery drawn current (unlike the settings shown above).

Check out this post for further information regarding a similar problem with a foot throttle with a loose magnet.

Alan

Offline Hamouchou

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

4.25 Volts would exceed the Throttle maximum allowed voltage (V) if it is still set at 4.0 as shown below:
This would cause the controller to cut power instantly.
Check your maximum and minimum throttle voltages coming from the foot throttle and set the throttle parameters accordingly.

Hey Alan, thanks for the fast reponse!  :D

I see that I have some configuration to check and change. The thing is that it's another issue that I have to deal with, as I've tried to connect my PC to the controller using the PI-400 cable (picture joined below) and the PI-800 software. I'm not even sure if the controller is detected at all, as I get in my device manager only "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)" in the USB section, which is the same thing I get when the I plug in the cable to the PC without it being connected to the controller (so I'm assuming that it's not even detecting the controlle, but only the usb-uart converter or something like that?). I'm fairly certain that I've  connected the cable correctly with the controller (I've respected the pin numbers) I feel like configuring the controller will be one big task, haha.

What is the maximum current available from your battery/power supply?

The power supply used in the bench has a max current of 84A.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:43:34 PM by Hamouchou »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »
It sound like your PC has not recognised the USB adapter, as my USB cable for the Magic Pie Vector controllers is still recognised as USB-SERIAL CH340 (COMxx) even without a controller being plugged into it:

Download and run the USB driver and reboot your pc, and then see if the USB lead is recognised correctly by the Device Manager when you plug it in again.

84A won't be enough for full power testing, but I would have thought that it should be able to produce 20% torque from the motor without the controller cutting out.

Alan

Offline Aishwarya.ghodgaonkar

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
Hi All,

I have a similar issue with my VEC600 controller. Every time I try to turn it on, it gives me new error. This time it's turning on well. I have set a 48V input on my power supply and a low current of 2A. The moment I switch it on, the motor runs and stops within a second (Please note - this happens even before the throttle is turned on). After this happens, the light blinks once with an interval on 2 seconds continuously indicating over-voltage protection. The set value for the input voltage is 48V and the high voltage protection value is 70V. I do not understand how to go forward with this. Can someone assist me here? I have attached the image of the parameters that I have loaded on to the controller. I have only the throttle connected. I'm not using any other extra connections. Please let me know if the parameters for the 10KW 48V HPM10KL-08D-PZ are right.

Thanks,
Aishwarya

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
Try setting the Throttle mode selection setting to 1: Linear. I think the 0:Hyperbola setting is meant for boat type throttles with a central Neutral position (Reverse - Neutral - Forwards).

If that doesn't work, try 0:Hall sensor instead of 1:Potentiometer for the Speed throttle type.

I would also try to increase the Acceleration (rpm/s), at just 200rpm/s it would theoretically take 20 seconds to accelerate from zero to 4000 rpm.

Alan